Entries to Win Afghan

Sign up to receive the Books Leaving Footprints Newsletter. Comes out occasionally. No spam. No list swapping. Just email me! jhyshark@gmail.com Previous gifts include a short story, a poem, and coupons. Add your name, and don't miss out!

Monday, March 9, 2020

North Country Trail - Homer and Albion

 
Stopped and did a few more NCT miles in the small towns of Homer and Albion, Michigan on my way home. Both of these are urban pathways established after I had completed my miles through these towns.

In Homer, the trail follows the River Trail, and is also the Calhoun County Trailway and the Iron Belle Trail.

North Country Trail Homer MIchigan

The river is the Kalamazoo River. Big water always looks nice, even in the brown seasons.

North Country Trail Homer MIchigan

In town, there is a loop through Grist Mill Park. The huge mill used to be Homer's main historic attraction. But it burned down several years ago.

North Country Trail Homer MIchigan

I thought this was interesting with a red-wing blackbird and a crow in the same tree.

crow and blackbird

Then I drove a few miles to Albion and followed the trail part way through town. It begins in the cemetery and curves north.

North Country Trail Albion MIchigan

When it gets to Victory Park it becomes the Albion River Trail and curves along the Kalamazoo River, and past the Forks of the River where the North Branch of the Kalamazoo flows in.

North Country Trail Albion MIchigan

I could have walked farther, but I was both starving and out of time. Got some lunch, and the timing was good because the rain began not long after that.

About 5 miles total... Hike 100 Challenge for 2020 is at 26 miles.

Home safe and sound. Now I have to get my head back in the "home mode."

North Country Trail in Homer and Albion, Michigan, about 5 miles

See Allegheny River Trail

1 comment:

Ann said...

Too bad Albion Pennsylvania doesn't have trails like that to walk.
I never go anywhere and have a hard time getting my head into "home mode"...lol