Entries to Win Afghan

Sign up to receive the Books Leaving Footprints Newsletter. Comes out occasionally. No spam. No list swapping. Just email me! jhyshark@gmail.com Previous gifts include a short story, a poem, and coupons. Add your name, and don't miss out!

Monday, March 16, 2020

The Dream Uses a Muscle

 
Another perfect day. I spent the morning sorting out a problem with a web site and doing accounting.

After lunch I went to clean up my section of trail. It's shorter than it used to be, and I may be getting a different piece soon, but for now, this is it.

It still includes this portion of the old Pere Marquette RR bed. One of my favorites with the dark hemlocks.

trail on old railroad bed

Then it goes through a bottomland hardwood swamp on the old rail berm. This is really a nifty place (except when it's hot and buggy, but that wasn't today).

bottomland hardwood swamp

This area is usually just marshy, but there was so much water this winter it was more like a pond.

frozen pond in woods

I didn't take any pictures of the actual work I did with tools. Mostly I cleared fallen stuff off the trail, but I did have to cut 4 trees that were down. Small enough I could get them with my bow saw. 2 more I'll report to the chain saw crew.

This is one piece of good news. This sign at the turnoff to the Bear Track Campground has been in place for about 3 years. Not a single porcupine tooth mark on it yet. Those guys (and girls) will eat anything. They completely decimated the last sign at this location.

trail sign

I got my 2.5 miles cleared, and started back with touching up the blazes, but I was running out of time, and my hands were getting too cold to work well. So I walked back to the car. Got home at 6 pm. I'll try to go out again tomorrow. I think we are getting one more nice day.

Here is how the blazing is supposed to look. Scrape the loose bark, paint nice rectangles with square corners. Just one more blaze should be visible ahead. I put an arrow to it, since these pictures are small. I confess, it's been a bit too long since I re-did my blazes, so they are going to take a while. But I'm feeling like this is a great activity for the weeks ahead. Love me some North Country Blue.

blue trail blazes

I ran into a couple I know who were out walking with their grandsons. Perfect.

Hike 100 Challenge 2020 is at 36 miles.

North Country Trail, Lake County, MI, Freesoil TH to Tyndall Road and a little more, and back. 5+ miles

See Trail Work

1 comment:

Ann said...

I like that first picture. It's like a tunnel of trees.