Then I figured out where I wanted the split for the hatch to be. The answer is that I didn't really like any of the sensible choices given the width of the rolled roofing sheets. So, I picked what I hope is the least problematic of the options that gives me a large enough access. Then a cross-member needed to be fitted between the rafters to give the hinged area some extra support.
Cut the plywood, and attached the hinges. Works fine. See top picture.
By then I was running out of time and energy. I knew I couldn't get as much done as I had hoped. But it's supposed to rain a lot tomorrow. So I tacked the tarpaper in place with plenty of overhang for finishing. Yes, I know I covered the hatch. I can just slit along the edge the next time I am able to work on this.
Then I covered it with the raggedy tarp held down with cinder blocks and rocks again. But I think with the tarpaper underneath it, lapped properly, the plywood will stay dry. Hope so.
There is no other news. Waking up this morning was exceptionally nice. I was warm and lazy in bed, and there was a cool breeze coming in the window. It was just perfect. I had a ginger-pear scone, and my coffee, and finished reading a book before I decided to get busy.
|See Four Out of Three|