Entries to Win Afghan

Sign up to receive the Books Leaving Footprints Newsletter. Comes out occasionally. No spam. No list swapping. Just email me! jhyshark@gmail.com Previous gifts include a short story, a poem, and coupons. Add your name, and don't miss out!

Sunday, October 20, 2024

A Very Full Day

 Today was about as packed as was comfortable. It started with bell choir, and I will process those videos to show you, probably tomorrow, but not tonight.

After bells, I hustled home, changed and headed for Cadillac where I gave my program about the NCT to the Cadillac Area Land Conservancy. That went really well, and then I hiked their nature trail again. Lots prettier than it was in April before the leaves were out.

So tonight I'll share pictures from that.

Black Creek is the natural waterway through the area, and although I didn't see any wildlife today except a squirrel, this is surely the kind of habitat animals love.
Black Creek Cadillac


The trail is mostly straight lines, but this spot with the richly-colored overhanging oak tree is really attractive.
autumn oak over a trail


My favorite piece of trail in the whole area is a "cut-across" that goes through an area of hemlock trees, and the trail is more organic. This is one end of that section.


Of course, the autumn leaf close-ups are always great. Pretty sure this is a red oak, Quercus rubrum. It just happens to have turned red. The leaves that are broader near the tip are typical, at least on young trees.
red oak


And here we have a red maple. No surprise to find it in a wetland. It prefers to have it's toes damp.
red maple


I loved this grouping of trees in the parking lot. It's always very interesting when you get nice contrasting colors growing near each other.
autumn colors


The program was well-attended, and I sold books. Managed to make the walk afterwards be 3 miles. But now I think I'm about done for the day.

Miles hiked in 2024: 498.7

Cadillac Heritage Nature Trail, various loops and spurs, 3.0 miles

See Heritage Nature Trail- Cadillac

No comments: