Entries to Win Afghan

Sign up to receive the Books Leaving Footprints Newsletter. Comes out occasionally. No spam. No list swapping. Just email me! jhyshark@gmail.com Previous gifts include a short story, a poem, and coupons. Add your name, and don't miss out!

Friday, October 18, 2024

Familiar, Yet New

 Cathy and I took a walk this afternoon on the section of North Country Trail that is probably the most familiar to me, perhaps even more so than the section I care for. This is the closest the trail comes to my house, so I go there fairly often. We walked north from Timber Creek and back for a total of about 3.5 miles.

Most of the color along the trail here is confined to yellow, but as the late light began to come through the trees, there were some nice moments.
trail with yellow trees


But even as familiar as this is, there is usually something new to see. This bald-faced hornet nest was only about 15 feet from the trail. I'm a little surprised no one has reported a problem there this summer. If you want to know more about this insect follow the link below.
bald faced hornet nest


What else is is both new and familiar? I got my "new" camera in the mail today. I have been using the same model camera since 2009 when I went digital. It has been upgraded a few times, and the one that failed was my 4th of the same model. It has been discontinued and is no longer supported by Canon. I bought a second-hand one before the big hike, suspecting the one I had would not last the whole trip, and that was true.

This time, I figured I'd have to go to a new model. Such a pain because the batteries and chargers are not interchangeable, and there is always a learning curve. But! I found a refurbished one of the same model. The pictures today are from this camera. So, for at least one more camera, I will not have to do the major educational and financial leap.

Total miles in 2024: 492.7. NCT miles hiked in 2024: 151.5

North Country Trail, north from Timber Creek, Mason County, MI, and back. 3.5 miles

See Personally Crafted Paper

2 comments:

The Oceanside Animals said...

Java Bean: "Ayyyy, hornets?! Run away!"

Ann said...

Looks like a nice day. That hornets nest looks a little menacing though