Entries to Win Afghan

Sign up to receive the Books Leaving Footprints Newsletter. Comes out occasionally. No spam. No list swapping. Just email me! jhyshark@gmail.com Previous gifts include a short story, a poem, and coupons. Add your name, and don't miss out!

Monday, October 18, 2010

Fall Wildflower Classic

 

New England Aster


Just pretty pictures today, and maybe a little tiny botany lesson. Here's one of the best-known autumn wildflowers, the New England Aster. The color is spectacular, even if purple isn't your favorite shade. It's almost always purple, but...
New England Aster

... in the same field I found one plant with pink blossoms. Not unheard of, but sort of an oddity.

New England Aster

The fast way to be sure it's New England Aster is to look at the leaves. See how they clasp the stem? They almost look like little arms just hanging on for dear life. That's the giveaway.



6 comments:

Duxbury Ramblers said...

beautiful enough for any garden, I love the pink.

rainfield61 said...

You are very knowledgeable to identify the plants.

Ann said...

They are pretty and I think that's what I've been seeing so much of along the sides of the roads every day. I've been tempted to pull over and take a picture. Now I may have to just to check their leaves

spinninglovelydays said...

They grow wild over there? We have to pay for them over here, lol. They're usually a good filler for bouquets.

Sharkbytes said...

Carol- various "tamed" ones are sold for gardens

rainfield- this is one of the easy ones! (but I try)

Ann- oh, good! I've inspired someone to go on a botany expedition!

Ivy- there are varieties sold here too, but they were wild before they were manipulated for gardens. These were wild- all through a field.

RNSANE said...

I love purple. Don't see asters very much around here, though.