Entries to Win Afghan

Sign up to receive the Books Leaving Footprints Newsletter. Comes out occasionally. No spam. No list swapping. Just email me! jhyshark@gmail.com Previous gifts include a short story, a poem, and coupons. Add your name, and don't miss out!

Saturday, October 30, 2010

More than I Bargained For

 

tree across trail

I thought I would go check some of the portion of North Country Trail that I maintain, this afternoon. My plan was to walk a 3-mile section. The blazes need re-painting, but I wasn't really up for that. I thought I'd just check for damage from the windstorm and flip dead stuff off the pathway. I was only a few hundred yards into the section when I encountered this.

tree across trail

OK, no problem. I pulled out my 24" bow saw, and got rid of this problem without too much trouble. Just a little bit farther on I found another similar tree, but it was a little bigger. OK, I was able to cut that one out too, but it was about as large as I could do with the saw I had. The piece I had to roll out of the trail was pretty heavy too... oak.
broken tree across trail

This section of trail follows an old railroad bed (can you tell?), and there are five little bridges. When I reached the second one... uh oh! I forgot to take a picture of what it looked like at first. A huge maple tree had fallen, and the top was spread across this bridge. I took this picture when I had already cleared half of it.
cleared trail

It took me 90 minutes just to cut out all of this tree top. Maggie couldn't figure out why we were staying in one place. She doesn't like doing trail work very much. She'd rather walk. So, all the walking we did was a half-mile, to the end of the rail grade and then back to the car. I wonder how bad the rest of my section is. I'll have to try to get back there this week.



10 comments:

betchai said...

you have such a good heart to volunteer Sharkbytes, I see some volunteers sometimes work on the trail in our area too, I admire them (and you) for their dedication, carrying their very heavy tools climbing up the mountain trails since there is no way up but by foot only, and I am thinking just carrying those tools is too much work already. We are lucky to have some of you kindred spirits around. Hopefully, someday, I can return the favor and be a trail volunteer too.

rainfield61 said...

I can see many volunteers at Cerok Tokun doing what you have done.

Salute!!!

The Oceanside Animals said...

Oh dear. Time to fetch the chainsaw.

Ann said...

You sure had your work cut out for you today. After doing all that clearing I probably wouldn't be able to move right now...lol

JenPB said...

Well, while we live far from your trail, I still thank you for volunteering your time, your bow saw, your sweat (and no doubt some blood and tears) to maintaining a trail for the public good. HURRAH! :)

RNSANE said...

As you know, Shark, I'm not a hiker but I applaud you, and others like you, who work so diligently to keep the trails open for those who like to get out and hike. I had not even given much thought to the aftermath of storms and the like. You are incredible.

Duxbury Ramblers said...

I am truly impressed by the amount of work you achieved, we have some folk that do volunteer work and the park rangers clear the big stuff.

spinninglovelydays said...

Wow, that must have been a lot of work, and more ahead too it seems. How big is the portion of the trail you're responsible for?

jeanlivingsimple said...

I am learning much from you!!!

Sharkbytes said...

I think I'll respond to all with a comment about trail work. The 80 miles of trail that our club maintains is split up between various volunteers. I'm just one of them.

Most of us take care of smaller problems. There are several people who are chain-saw certified, and we call them when there are big trees down.

We also paint the blazes on the trees. You should hear more about that later this week.