Entries to Win Afghan

Sign up to receive the Books Leaving Footprints Newsletter. Comes out occasionally. No spam. No list swapping. Just email me! jhyshark@gmail.com Previous gifts include a short story, a poem, and coupons. Add your name, and don't miss out!

Thursday, October 7, 2010

I Heard a Raucus Rattle

 

sandhill crane flying

Maggie and I were taking our quickie morning walk, and I was picking Autumn Olive berries when I heard a distinctive rattling cry. It's hard to describe... sort of a cross between a turkey, a pigeon, and a kingfisher. And loud!

sandhill crane flying

I knew what it was, but I couldn't find them! Then, they came sailing over the aspens (yes, the ones of the blue WOW). Do you know what it is? It's a pair of sandhill cranes Grus canadensis. I showed you one closeup this summer. That link is in the footer.

sandhill crane flying

These are huge birds, with a 6-8 foot wingspan, even larger than the great blue heron. I often see them in certain places near here, but this is the first time I've spotted them "in" (over) my back yard!

sandhill crane flying



See Sandhill Crane Family

11 comments:

Loretta said...

wow...they are huge! Great photos!

rainfield61 said...

I am glad to see a huge bird, though in pictures.

jeanlivingsimple said...

Wow is right! What a super backyard sighting!!!

Julia said...

Those are some fabulous birds. I've got to plan a trip this winter to the central valley to see them in CA. They are one of my FAVORITE birds. I love hearing their bugling call. It's not like any other thing in this world!

Secondary Roads said...

Sandhill cranes fly over our house on a regular basis. Their call is indeed unique and for that reason easy to identify.

The Oceanside Animals said...

They look kind of ... Jurassic.

Ann said...

great capture there. Wow those are big birds. How cool that you spotted them right in your back yard.

spinninglovelydays said...

I'd be thrilled to see such a huge bird in/over my backyard. All I get are sparrows and other sparrow-like birds.

Sharkbytes said...

Hi Loretta- right place, right time!

rainfield- we have a couple of big ones in the north. This is our one crane

Jean- There is a nesting place about 2 miles from me, but even so, I've never seen them fly over

Julia- the sound really is distinctive! Hope you get to see them

Chuck- Wow- glad you get to see and hear them.

Dennis- Yes they do! Actually, the herons in flight are even more so.

Ann- they are big enough to find the the viewfinder!

Ivy- do you live in a town/ city? I bet you could attract something besides sparrows.

Elvira's Roundabout said...

wow, you click great pictures. it's always beautiful looking at the birds freely flying.

From my blog:
The Photo and Its Photographer

RNSANE said...

You got terrific shots of them airborne! They are so huge. I have so many paintings of these birds in shops in Chinatown but I've never seen one "live" - I hope I have my camera with me if the opportunity ever presents itself.