Entries to Win Afghan

Sign up to receive the Books Leaving Footprints Newsletter. Comes out occasionally. No spam. No list swapping. Just email me! jhyshark@gmail.com Previous gifts include a short story, a poem, and coupons. Add your name, and don't miss out!

Friday, October 1, 2010

Nordhouse- Yesterday the Facts, Today the Magic

 

Lake Michigan beach

Magic can have a twinkly, shiny side, or a darker, more sinister tone. My adventure yesterday had some of each, but we'll start with twinkly. As you can see, the lake was sprinkled liberally with diamonds.

clump of mushrooms

I'm sure that this must be a village peopled with tiny folks. My mushroom book doesn't give me any clues, which verifies that it must have been built by magical architects.

Yellow Patches mushroom

Now, the identity of this one can't elude me. It's "Yellow Patches," one of the deadly Amanitas. Of course, that's only by human standards, and I think I saw a small gnome hiding in the shadows of this lovely roof.

fall leaves

The leaves were dancing, flashing sun flecks in every direction. It was a perfectly magical afternoon. (And my laundry on the line was dry when I got home too!)

Tomorrow, The Dark Tale! Come back then, and remember to enter the contest.


See Nordhouse- Today the Facts, Tomorrow the Magic

11 comments:

RNSANE said...

What splendid pictures, Shark. The lake is beautiful and I love the mushrooms. I have always been intrigued by them and my kitchen is full of needlework mushrooms, decoupage and ceramic ones I've collected over the years. Of course, I eat them, too. Wish there weren't so many poison ones.

The ones in your picture are so beautiful.

rainfield61 said...

This little mushroom is beautiful enough to be a princess.

Auntie E said...

What a lovely place to dream. Love all the mushroom photos. You know me I will have to find out what kind of mushrooms the first one are.LOL

Secondary Roads said...

I like the leaves best. A nice play in light, contrast, and less-than-saturated color. Okay, the other photos are also flawless too.

annpod said...

Very beautiful view of the lake, the mushroom and the leaves. It makes me inspired. I've never seen a mushroom that yellow in my life. And the details of it - you're right, its magic!

Ann said...

OMG the contest. I have my answers written down and forgot all about sending them. I'll get to that tonight.
Love that first shot, I want to take a walk along that shore line. Very cool mushroom, there's got to be gnome living under that one.

Joanne Olivieri said...

The leaves are just glorious, Shark. Beautiful colors and composition

spinninglovelydays said...

Sigh. It's pure poetry, Sharkbytes. Love all the twinkle/twinkliness... :)

Re contest, I can't spot the insect, but have all the other answers down (I think) as well as the workings of a really lame essay. I'll try to meet the deadline!

josie said...

these are beautiful sharky, they looked like toys but they are real, first time for me these kinds of mushrooms..

Sharkbytes (TM) said...

Carmen- well, I will wish you a special mushroom for your birthday. Have a happy one!

rainfield- maybe she wandered in from Super Mario

Auntie E- good luck, but let me know if you do! I didn't look at the gills or take a spore print or anything.

Chuck- I don't know about flawless... haha. But the leaves were catching the leaves just right.

annpod- thanks for stopping by! I love how there was just enough shadow to make all the spots stand out.

Ann- come hike! It's free for all. (well, there's a parking fee, but I have a card)

Ivy- Good for you! give it a shot.

josie- they are so perfect they look like plastic, don't they?

Duxbury Ramblers said...

Love the amanita we have a few amanitas but I have not seen this one, as for the group it reminds me of our Sulphur Tuft.