Entries to Win Afghan


If you like my books, essays, etc. you might want to put your name on this private email list (no spam ever) for advance notices, coupons, and occasional freebies. Tell your friends too! Books Leaving Footprints Newsletter. Previous gifts include a short story, a poem and a half-off coupon for the newest book. Sign up, and don't miss out!"
Winners are: 3rd place- e-book of your choice: Wendy Nystrom. 2nd place- book of your choice, paper or e-book: Sue Ann Crawford. Winner of the afghan: Elaine Hull.

Thursday, April 26, 2012

W is for Wildflowers


  You didn't expect anything else from me, did you? These are just a few beauties from the past week or so. First, a common one, the wild strawberry, Fragaria virginiana. Do I need to say more about that?
wild strawberry Next is one that isn't so often seen. Some may recognize it as a cress, a member of the mustard family. However, look closely at the basal leaves. See how deeply lobed they are? This is the lyre-leaved rock cress, Arabis lyrata. Ellen and I found it along the White River. Yes it's a cousin of the many Arabis which are used in rock gardens.
lyre-leaved rock cress Finally, here's another one that the Forest Service is working to restore to the Loda Lake Wildflower Sanctuary. It's a prairie plant, and they are restoring an oak savannah in the old barnyard area. This is Geum Triflorum, prairie smoke. It gets its name because the seed pods are a feathery gray plume that looks smoke-ish.
lyre-leaved rock cress Almost done with this A-Z thing. It's worked out fine, but I have some goodies that haven't fit to show you when we are done.

if you like this blog, click the +1  


12 comments:

Damyanti said...

Lovely pictures!

Secondary Roads said...

Wild strawberry. I love it. I have some that grows in the yard near our barn. My favorite is indian paintbrush.

Anne Camille said...

Your photos are lovely.

I was tired by the time I went to write my "W" post last night and now, in the clearheaded morning, I'm wondering how I could not have thought about "wildflowers" as I have taken so many pictures of them this Spring!

coachteresa.com said...

I think the fact that they sing so sweet and what a lovely name for them.
great to meet you in the A to Z challenge. I appreciate your love of nature and knowledge.
And your love of hiking.

betchai said...

not very familiar except the first one, wild strawberry, i love seeing it coz it is something i do not get to see often here, we mostly have lupines, poppies and coreopsis and a lot of invasive non-native that took over some of the places :(

M. J. Joachim said...

Your wildflowers are so cool! This is a wonderful blog, and I'm so glad I found it! Thanks for stopping by my blog today. It's always fun to meet new visitors:)

Sarah said...

Love the wildlife photos! And I love the premise of the blog - since I could use more reminders of all the beauty around me!

susezine said...

I LOVE the Prairie Smoke when the plumes are aflutter ... :-)

I'm too far north for wild strawberry blooms yet but oohed and ah-ed a couple of weeks ago when I drove past a patch of the plants just waiting to burst into bloom.

Great photos and good info about each plant.

Thanks for visiting my A-to-Z blog -- I gotta catch up! (hopefully before the month is finished) And thank you for commenting about technology out of place in a novel. Every bit of input helps.

Tracy said...

Visiting from A to Z Challenge and your blog is lovely! Hang in there; almost finished! and Thank God we only have 26 letters in our alphabet :)

Lynn Proctor said...

i just love wildflowers, thanks!

Ann said...

I get the wild strawberry growing under my deck all the time

gail said...

I'm so glad you stopped by!

Related Posts Widget for Blogs by LinkWithin