Entries to Win Afghan

Sign up to receive the Books Leaving Footprints Newsletter. Comes out occasionally. No spam. No list swapping. Just email me! jhyshark@gmail.com Previous gifts include a short story, a poem, and coupons. Add your name, and don't miss out!

Tuesday, October 2, 2012

Art Prize 2012- Two in Glass

 
Maybe I'm in love with glass this year. I just realized that one of my favorites from yesterday was also glass. However, all three are different from each other, and I think it's just coincidence.

I did assignments today and got lovely fall color pictures, but I'll save those, and continue with Art Prize for now.

One of my favorites also made the top 10 in the voting. I showed you the overall view two days ago. It's a mosaic made of glass called "Return to Eden," by Sandra Bryant of Lynden, Washington.

glass mosaic Return to Eden

It's difficult to get a sense of scale, so here's a shot with Om in the picture. It's huge!

glass mosaic Return to Eden

Now for the closeup! First the top of the waterfall- rocks and water in the distance:

glass mosaic Return to Eden

Then the little ducklings and flowers- all glass, but needs to look like a completely different texture. I think the skill involved in making this mural (it was that big) look so good is very impressive.

glass mosaic Return to Eden

The other glass creation is somewhat realistic, but only somewhat. It's called "Making a Wish," by Craig Michael Smith of Okemos, Michigan. I think you can get a sense of the scale in this long view. Big!

glass Making a Wish

Glass is amazing stuff. Maybe I do subconsciously favor it because of many family trips to the Corning Glass Center in NY, near where I grew up. The only material listed for this is glass- not steel for support or anything else. Pretty awesome. It's not subconscious that I liked the botanical connection. Check out the leaves.

glass Making a Wish

Now for that seed head of the dandelion. Again, same medium, but a completely different texture. I could believe that one of those seeds might take flight at any moment.

glass Making a Wish

There are a couple more exhibits I'd like to share. Tomorrow is supposed to be rainy, so we'll see if I'm in the mood for art or color tomorrow night. Or, perhaps, something completely different and magical will happen. You never know, at MQD, I only promise "something good every day!"

See Art Prize 2012- Two Favorites
if you like this blog, click the +1  

5 comments:

Secondary Roads said...

Those are very nice. I enjoyed looking at your pictures. FWIW, I visited the Corning Glass Center about 45 years ago. That was an amazing experience.

Ann said...

And you always deliver on that promise too :)
Those are both very impressive.

Sandra Rose Hughes said...

That is incredible! What ingenious artistry!

Sharkbytes said...

Chuck- Was that before or after the big flood? (no, not with Noah... )

Ann- the displays ranged from odd to impressive. I'm trying to avoid the odd on my limited space.

Sandra- Nice to see you again. You would love the whole venue.


Secondary Roads said...

I don't know about the "big flood - not with Noah." For that reason, I cannot say. Sorry.