Entries to Win Afghan

Sign up to receive the Books Leaving Footprints Newsletter. Comes out occasionally. No spam. No list swapping. Just email me! jhyshark@gmail.com Previous gifts include a short story, a poem, and coupons. Add your name, and don't miss out!

Thursday, August 29, 2013

White-lined Hummingbird Moth

 
Or, White-lined sphinx moth, hawk moth, Sphingidae. To be specific Hyles lineata, one of the most common of the sphinx moths.

Actually, I just wanted to show you some chicory because I love the shade of blue,

chicory

but something flew into my picture.

white lined hawk moth on chicory

These moths are large, and they flit and hover, so they are sometimes mistaken for hummingbirds. Here's a side view. Hard to catch the wings as anything but a blur.

white lined hawk moth on chicory

They also fly during the day, unlike most moths. It stayed at each blossom for about two seconds, taking sips. See the proboscis?

white lined hawk moth on chicory

The Greek name, Hyles, was the name of a centaur warrior, and lineata just means lined. So we have a fierce-looking moth with lines. Not too difficult!

The caterpillars are fairly large and usually green with lines of spots.

if you like this blog, click the +1   or

Like This!

6 comments:

Lin said...

Love these! I look for them in the garden each summer. The first time I saw it, I thought it was a hummingbird.

vanilla said...

Neat moth captures. I especially like the chicory. Seeing it interspersed with Queen Anne's lace alongside the roads: special. Not so much these days, what with spraying and mowing gone rampant. *sigh*

rainfield61 said...

A moth is a bird.

That is too funny.

Secondary Roads said...

Okay the moth is interesting, but I'm more intrigued by the chicory. But not by the song, Chicory Chick, rather because it was used as a coffee substitute and is still mixed with coffee by some folk. It does have an interesting flavor.

Ann said...

that's a huge moth. I've always loved the looks of the chicory. I don't care if it is a weed, I think they're pretty

Unknown said...

great pics, Joan. I guess you were lucky it stayed around long enough for them.