Entries to Win Afghan

Sign up to receive the Books Leaving Footprints Newsletter. Comes out occasionally. No spam. No list swapping. Just email me! jhyshark@gmail.com Previous gifts include a short story, a poem, and coupons. Add your name, and don't miss out!

Wednesday, June 16, 2021

Trail Work and a Pretty

  I haven't been on the trail much lately- it's been hot, and I've started working on the trailer. And I was doing a lot of editing. These are all good things (OK, maybe not the heat). But today, Andrea asked if we could get out to continue the blazing on her section, and it all came together. Isn't the trail appealing with all the greenery? North Country Trail

We didn't get a lot done. Sigh. It just takes a long time to do it right. This is one of the old blazes. Red pine- never the best choice, but it's what is growing there. The bark on red pine just flakes and flakes. A couple of swipes, and this blaze was completely on the ground. Did a good scraping, and painted a new one. trail blaze on red pine

Anyway, we did a half mile. That's a half mile more than would have been done if we hadn't gone.

Both of the small creeks in this section are completely dry, but one of them has blue flag growing. One of my favorites. wild blue flag

After Andrea left, I finally got things fixed (almost) at the Freesoil Trailhead where a new snowmobile trail was put in that cut right across the trail and obliterated any indication of where to go on the north side of the road. So consider this a public service announcement. The magenta line is how you used to cross the road, on an angle to the west. Now, you'll go straight across- see the Carsonite post on the other side. Freesoil Trailhead

You go for a few yards on an old 2-track road. This is the place I could not totally get right today. There is absolutely nothing on which to paint a blaze for the left turn. I think I'll have to put in a 4x4 post. However, you CAN see the next blaze if you look left. I chose this route, because it means the trail does not cross the snowmobile trail at all. Seems safer That trail comes up the seasonal road to the corner, crosses Freesoil Road and makes an abrupt left. Our trail now stays to the east of that motor trail corner. Freesoil Trailhead NCT and snowmobile trail

After you make the left turn, then you have to make an abrupt right to get on the former route of the trail. That turn is correctly marked now. You can see the turn blaze if you squint at the picture. It's been over a year they've had that whole construction area torn up, so it feels good to have it close to properly marked. Freesoil Trailhead

North Country Trail miles for 2021 is at 324.

In other news: I edited. I made yogurt. I worked on a pet project. I worked on that big Bondo project on the trailer. I had another book meeting this evening.

North Country Trail, Lake County, MI. Freesoil Trailhead south and back- total 4 miles

See Lopping, No Loping

2 comments:

Ann said...

I do like the looks of that first trail.
You had a very busy day.

Sharkbytes said...

Hi Ann- I did!