Entries to Win Afghan

Sign up to receive the Books Leaving Footprints Newsletter. Comes out occasionally. No spam. No list swapping. Just email me! jhyshark@gmail.com Previous gifts include a short story, a poem, and coupons. Add your name, and don't miss out!

Monday, April 8, 2024

Eclipse Party 2024

 We had an eclipse party with 9 of us! We went to the cemetery to "visit" Marianne's parents who were nice quiet hosts.
people watching eclipse


Some of the kids are Girl Scouts, so they were doing science things in order to get a badge. For one thing, the temperature dropped 10 degrees at the totality. We had 2 minutes, 49 seconds where we were.

I took a picture every five minutes, but I won't overwhelm you with that many. But, a few... This is the totality.
eclipse at totality


I sort of got the "diamond ring," but it's not focused well. This is a good place to say that I know these aren't like professional pics, but they are mine. I was there.
gleam at edge of eclipse


Here are a few as it was leaving.
solar eclipse
solar eclipse
solar eclipse
solar eclipse
solar eclipse
solar eclipse


It got dusky, but not really dark. This was the horizon. We could see Jupiter? briefly.
dusky horizon at eclipse


One of the things the kids did was use a colander to project the cresent shapes on a piece of white board.
eclipse through colander


Then everyone came to Marianne's for dinner. Long day. Very fun. I'm glad I came.

See The Non-Event

7 comments:

vanilla said...

Nicely done!

Amanda Kimberley said...

Thank you so much for sharing!

Ann said...

Sounds like fun. I watched the eclipse here. I didn't notice a temperature drop but many people mentioned it.

The Oceanside Animals said...

Java Bean: "Ayyy, that is a very cool picture of the totality! We only had a 50% eclipse here and Dada looked at it with a paper plate that he stuck a pinhole in to make a camera. Not as impressive as this. And then he didn't even give me the paper plate to shred afterwards!"

Secondary Roads said...

I USED a colander for a pinhole camera here as well. It was fun.

The Furry Gnome said...

Well I wasn't there, so your pictures are a lot better than mine! Great photos in fact!

Sharkbytes said...

Thanks everyone!