Entries to Win Afghan

Sign up to receive the Books Leaving Footprints Newsletter. Comes out occasionally. No spam. No list swapping. Just email me! jhyshark@gmail.com Previous gifts include a short story, a poem, and coupons. Add your name, and don't miss out!

Thursday, April 4, 2024

I Have a Car!

  Leona doesn't look any different on the outside. And she's still muddy. But, she is back in my own driveway after 2 1/2 weeks.
Subaru Forester


However, she's had a heart transplant. Two valves were bad. See that crack on the edge. Not good. The compression is supposed to be between 160-200 psi per cylinder. My best one was about 145, and the worst was 42. Well, I said it was missing on one cylinder. Got that right.
cracked car engine valve


Here's the old ticker, and various veins and arteries, now headed for the scrap yard.
old car engine


It took forever to get some of the parts. Even Subaru had trouble coughing up everything. But finally, it was all reassembled. I know only a moderate amount about engines. Enough to be dangerous, right? But my reaction was "shiny."
new engine


And a couple of days ago, it was finally back in the car.
car engine


Don't even ask what this cost. The answer is less than a different car, but I am really broke. Well, it runs nice. And I got it just in time for an adventure this weekend.

It's somewhat astounding to me that something with so many delicate and moving parts works when they put it all back together.

In other news: I worked for 5 hours on the book and did a few odds and ends.

See The Day I Brought Leona Home

5 comments:

vanilla said...

And thus it is that being astounded still the skill is recognized and appreciated, which in the end makes writing the check less onerous. Enjoy the ride!

Ann said...

Yeah! That was a long time to go without a car. Those repairs are expensive but sometimes a better way to go than to trade in because the price of even a used vehicle these days is outrageous.

The Oceanside Animals said...

Lulu: "Welcome back, Leona! A heart transplant, that's some major surgery!"

The Furry Gnome said...

That's a major heart transplant!

Sharkbytes said...

Vanilla, Lulu and Stew- major surgery for sure

Ann- That's what I decided. The rest of the car is in pretty good shape.