Entries to Win Afghan

Sign up to receive the Books Leaving Footprints Newsletter. Comes out occasionally. No spam. No list swapping. Just email me! jhyshark@gmail.com Previous gifts include a short story, a poem, and coupons. Add your name, and don't miss out!

Friday, May 24, 2024

What's Blooming Now

 I have to lead with the stunner, the oriental poppy. This is a great success story. I rescued this nearly shaded-out and dead poppy from the hedge down below when all that was left was a tiny sprig. That was only a few years ago, and look at it now!
oriental poppy


While we're in that front flower bed (which I have begun to weed), let's look at the Heuchera. I really don't care much about the flowers, but they are the reason that the common name is "coral bells." The wonderful 'Peach Flambe' plant has light pink to white bells. You can barely see them on that tall stem. Remember the song, "white coral bells upon a slender stalk?"
peavh flambe heuchera blossoms


This Heuchera I got from my friend Margaret. I don't know the variety, but it's similar to one called 'Firefly.' The flowers are actually attractive in a darker pink. Behind it is the dwarf Solomon's seal. I've shown you that quite often.
green heuchera with pink flowers


Now let's move to the totally un-reclaimed flower bed out behind the house. Much to my surprise, the Star-of-Bethlehem has survived. I think a few of these might get moved to the rock garden. They are not supposed to like shade, but that's about all they are getting where they are now!
star of bethlehem ornithogalum


This is one of the Dianthus I bought last year, 'Kahori.' I discovered this year that it was in the same space with all the N. canaliculatus daffodils. Not an attractive plan as the daf leaves linger. The dafs were too tall for that space anyway, so I've dug all the blubs from under this and will move them. Despite the disturbance, this is very happy. It's covered with buds.
Dianthus Kahori


Here's a plant I wish I'd never bought. It's everywhere, and I have to just keep ripping it out. I've left a few clumps. It's variegated vinca. The flowers are twice the size of the regular vinca (creeping myrtle, periwinkle), and it's not quite as invasive, but it's a pest.
variegated vinca


Speaking of nuisance plants, I'm working on keeping the Bloody Cranesbill geranium controlled to certain areas of the rock garden. Meanwhile, I have to admit that it does fill things in beautifully with color. The flowers are the magenta. The lighter color is a pink geranium I got years ago for free. Maybe G. cinereum. It's not nearly so invasive. Right now, the rock garden is primarily magenta and pink with these plants. I have put a few plugs in the new section because I want it to look balanced in the long run. Even the pink one that was a tiny sprig I moved last fall is blooming already this year. They all look brighter in person.
geraniums in a rock garden


Finally, this is one of my last year's purchases that is making me very smiley. This is the Red Mountain Flame ice plant. Instead of one reluctant blossom at a time, it's going to just bust out with color!
Red Mountain Flame ice plant


There are several other plants with buds on them. Very exciting!

I edited other people's stuff and my own stuff today, and went shopping. Big vendor event tomorrow and Sunday.

See The Rock Garden Eats More Plants and Rocks

3 comments:

Ann said...

It's all looking fantastic this year.

Sharkbytes said...

Ann- It sure is!

The Oceanside Animals said...

Java Bean: "Ayyy, I have never heard of a heuchera ― it sounds like something Dada might make for breakfast, with like eggs and chorizo! Mmm, chorizo ..."
Lulu: "We have got vinca around here and Mama and Dada wish they had never planted it either! Dada says that stuff is a menace!"