Entries to Win Afghan

Sign up to receive the Books Leaving Footprints Newsletter. Comes out occasionally. No spam. No list swapping. Just email me! jhyshark@gmail.com Previous gifts include a short story, a poem, and coupons. Add your name, and don't miss out!

Friday, June 19, 2009

Fluffy Treats on an Urban Trail


There are so many things to show you from both of the hikes this year, I hardly know where to start. There is a brief overview of the recent one at Treasures North of THE Bridge. But I've been driven to cuteness by Ratty's post Chased by Raccoons

This 45-mile hike began just north of the Mackinac Bridge, in St. Ignace, Michigan. The first two miles wind through town, including a lovely waterfront boardwalk with interpretive signs, flowers, shrubs, and easy access to restaurants and shops. Of course, St. Ignace is known as a place to catch a ferry to Mackinac Island, a high-end tourist destination. Walking along, I spotted this pair of swans framed by lovely red-osier dogwood.

two swans

As I got closer, I discovered that it was an entire family of swans!

swan family

The baby swans, cygnets, seemed to be staying near the rocky edge below the boardwalk. I liked how the neutral tone of the water color made the babies show up very clearly.

cygnet swimming

They were learning how to dabble for small bits of food. They weren't good at ducking their heads down to the bottom yet, but they were using those little beaks with purpose to snatch snacks off the rocks that were in front of them!

cygnets dabbling

Finally, I just like this closeup. Such concentration!

cygnet

See Feeling Overwhelmed - O Deer! for another baby animal
See Memory of a Special Earth Day for even more babies!

10 comments:

Rick (Ratty) said...

These are great! I just saw a pair of swans myself yesterday. It was the first time I can remember seeing swans. I've never seen their babies before. They look like little white ducklings. I don't know why anyone would consider one of these an ugly duckling though. I don't have enough words to say how much I like these pictures.

Blake said...

I like the blog. Being from Alabama, I really like nature. It always nice to see baby swans, ducks, and geese.

Rebecca said...

Wow, that made for a great day of hiking! I wish I would remember to take my camera with me when I go out. Those are some great pictures. Glad you enjoyed your day!

Lin said...

Oh, Sharky--those are lovely photos!! The water is so clear and the cygnets so white. Wow. Nice find!

Sharkbytes said...

Hi Ratty- I think some cygnets are dull brown, but these ones sure aren't. There are several kinds of swans.

Blake- Thanks- I think you're the one who was honest enough to admit that Google maps can be a little creepy!

Rebecca- HI- I added your blog to my EC favs. Backroads are great!

Lin- Thanks, lady. At least the baby animals don't have to wear funny dresses or too-tight suits, eh?

tanja7 said...

They are so adorable. I love swans.

Beverly said...

Beautiful, reminds me of living in the midwest, thank you for posting great pics!

Beverly
http://www.mauwebstudio.com

Sharkbytes said...

Hi tanja- Glad you like them... they really are pretty adorable.

Beverly- Thanks for stopping by. I tried to comment on your blog, but the comment box wouldn't open. Your buttermilk raspberry cake looks really delish!

Julie said...

Hi there!!! I love all your hiking adventures and I am amazed at your stamina!!! Fantastic! These baby swans are absolutely the cutest creatures EVER!!! Wonderful photos!!!

Sharkbytes said...

Hi Julie- Thank you! I love your succulents... I don't seem to be able to make time for both hiking and gardening this year.