Entries to Win Afghan

Sign up to receive the Books Leaving Footprints Newsletter. Comes out occasionally. No spam. No list swapping. Just email me! jhyshark@gmail.com Previous gifts include a short story, a poem, and coupons. Add your name, and don't miss out!

Wednesday, July 22, 2009

A Catalpa for Dad


row of blooming catalpa trees

If my dad were alive he would be 105 years old today. Catalpa trees always make me think of Dad's birthday. This is actually a bit odd, because most catalpa bloom during the first week of July, which is when I took these pictures, just off a road I traveled doing the paper route.

catalpa leaves and blossoms

But at the house where I grew up, we had a catalpa tree that bloomed later than any other catalpa I've ever known, and it was always blooming on Dad's birthday, July 22.

catalpa leaves and blossoms

The catalpa has become naturalized in North America, although it was originally an ornamental. The blossoms and leaves are both huge. No real botany lesson today. I'm just enjoying the memories of my dad.

See Mulberry Mystery
if you like this blog, click the +1   or

Like This!


9 comments:

BK said...

How magical it is. Perhaps the catalpa knows of the place where it is growing up.

spinninglovelydays said...

That's a beautiful association :)

rainfield61 said...

Every single thing in the surrounding may assosiate to some thing, be it big or trivial.

Rick (Ratty) said...

I like associations like this. I sometimes do the same thing. I like the blossoms on this tree. The purple part gives them something extra.

betchai said...

those are very beautiful blossoms and i love how the tree line up on the road.
it is like the catalpa is smiling for your father's birthday.

Eric: Blog De Manila : Philippine Blog said...

wow...what a great way to remember your Dad.

Sharkbytes said...

BK- They are so showy that they are almost magical... except I also keep remembering that this was almost my favorite climbing tree- that sort of keeps it "rooted" in reality.

Spinning- funny how those things work, isn't it?

Rainfield- you are so right, now if we could just remember what it was that we were being reminded of, eh?

Hi Ratty- Yes, the flowers just seem white from a distance, but then you get close and see the colors.

Hi betchai- That line of trees is quite spectacular. They must have been planted there on purpose, even though it is just a country road, but it's quite spectacular.

Sharkbytes said...

Eric- Well, it makes it very easy! But I think of my dad quite often... maybe even more the older I get.

•°°• IcyBC •°°• said...

How beautiful to remember your dad with the catalpa blossoms!

I wish to have a pretty association like this when I think of my dad.

There is a tree like this down the street from me, and I've always admired the flowers, but haven't had enough courage to snap some pictures yet.