Entries to Win Afghan

Sign up to receive the Books Leaving Footprints Newsletter. Comes out occasionally. No spam. No list swapping. Just email me! jhyshark@gmail.com Previous gifts include a short story, a poem, and coupons. Add your name, and don't miss out!

Thursday, July 9, 2009

"Arf! It's My Turn"


maggie says soOK, I haven't had a chance to show off here for quite a while. I think it's my turn!

Twice a day I tell my mom that it's time to go outside for a walk. In the morning we just take a quick trip on one of the short loops of trail, but that's ok, because at least I get to stretch my legs.

dog walking on path

This is the view mom usually gets of me while we are walking. She gets pretty bored with it, but I don't care because I'm concentrating on looking for ground squirrels or turkeys or deer.

dog sniffing the ground

See, I almost got something here. I am showing you this picture even though you can't see my face because it shows off my new flea collar so well. I seem to be covered with those nasty little biters this week. I don't remember them ever being so bad. So mom went and bought me this stinky collar. I'm not sure it's helping any. She also washed all the bedding and the couch covers. She found some REALLY smelly stuff and sprayed a lot of places. At least she didn't try to spray me with it like she did a few years ago. It stung so much that I jumped and yelped and ran through the house knocking over anything that was in my way. When it got sprayed on my cousins they acted the same way, so mom won't use it on us ever again. Whew.

dog rolling on the ground

Mom's also been combing me a lot and pulling a lot of the fleas off that way. She read on the computer that Dawn dish soap kills fleas really well, so she swished that comb in soapy water every time she caught a flea. At first I didn't like the way the comb felt, but I'm getting used to it. I have to have a good roll before we go back inside. Mom thinks I'm just picking up a new load of fleas, but a dog's gotta do what a dog's gotta do.

dog with flapping earsBefore I go I just wanted to show you one more picture with my lovely ears flapping. My white face says I'm getting old, but it's summer and I still feel like a very happy dog! Have a lovely day!

Snuggles, from Maggie

See Maggie the (Not So) Great Coyote Hunter
See It's For You
See Getting to Know Maggie

13 comments:

VanillaSeven said...

Looks like the dog really enjoy its quality time :)

Abby said...

Abby: Wow, that field looks like great fun. Hope those nasty fleas stay off you. My mom put Frontline on me and my dad brushes me like twice a day after my walks. I love sniffing in the park and rolling in the grass too. Plus, at the park I go to there are lots of kids and people who like petting me. I love the park! I could stay there all day and I love chasing squirrels too but they always cheat and run up a tree!

Lyghtekeeper said...

I just have never understood dogs. Yeah I like a good roll in the dirt myself but you never seem to stay still. A good nap in the sun is what going outside is all about even though I make my owner nervous when my place in the sun is in the parking lot. You can keep your field and your fleas, thank you very much.
Oscar the cat

Joe Todd said...

All the Teddy Bears in my house call me Daddy. Does that count?

rainfield61 said...

all these remind me of my poodle; We had a very busy night bringing it to clinic, taking its X-ray..

Maybe I'll talk more in my blog later...

Glynis Peters said...

Hi Maggie
It's great to meet you. Our owner showed us your picture, you age well.
Happy Sniffing
Max, Jake, Ginny and Lucy from Cyprus

Sharkbytes said...

Hi Vanilla- Yes, she loves her day hikes. A dog has to sniff out the daily adventures.

Hi Abby- yes, you understand why we have to play outside. The price tag on that Frontline was daunting. We are trying the flea collar. It seems like there are fewer fleas today.

Oscar- You silly felines just don't know how to enjoy every moment, NOW.

Joe- Absolutely! Teddy bears are very needy.

Rainfield- Oh, no! I hope everything will be ok for you and your pooch.

Max, Jake, Ginny and Lucy- Hey, wanna set a play date? Oh, well, I guess you are a bit far away. Sniff out something good for me, ok?

betchai said...

wow, thanks a lot Maggie for telling us your experiences and happiness stretching your legs, isn't that we all need to do? gosh, i envy you there flapping your ears, you look so happy. wish i can play with you too. and early morning to stretch our legs always good, right? i love that picture of you with the soft early morning sun in the first picture. you are lucky to have a great mom who is patient working with your fleas.

•°°• IcyBC •°°• said...

It looks so much running through the field, so free, and joyous..

Rick (Ratty) said...

Ahhh. My favorite kind of animal. I wholeheartedly believe that dogs are man's best friend. My old dog hated anything like flea collars, but she had a pink collar that she thought was a beautiful necklace. There is some stuff in a little packet that is squeezed onto a dogs neck that gets rid of fleas. I tried everything else with no success, but when I used this stuff my dog never had fleas again.

Sharkbytes (TM) said...

Hi Betchai- Yup, you betcha, I like the sun!

Icy- I am very happy that I have a place I can let her run free for her walks

Ratty- I'm trying to avoid the expense of the squeeze tube stuff.

DogsDeserveFreedom said...

Hi. Thanks for stopping by my blog and commenting. It was good to read your post! Our walks look very much the same ... though we beat the fleas with revolution the last two years in a row (it was a trial run last year to see if it would actually work).

Hope to see you around again!

DogsDeserveFreedom

Mamí♥Picture said...

Aww I love maggie!
We would love to have a puppy but I think it will be hard!
I sure want to adopt one in the future but not now!
oh well sooon really soon will bring one home and then I will tell a beautiful story :)