Entries to Win Afghan

Sign up to receive the Books Leaving Footprints Newsletter. Comes out occasionally. No spam. No list swapping. Just email me! jhyshark@gmail.com Previous gifts include a short story, a poem, and coupons. Add your name, and don't miss out!

Monday, August 28, 2017

Lespedeza Fun and Frustration

 
Remember this picture? I called it Wand-like Bush Clover.

wand-like bush clover

Well, I now have the picture that shows what the habitat looks like while growing.

wand-like bush clover

And one with those distinctive seed pods.

wand-like bush clover

The problem is that it doesn't really match any of the Lespedeza exactly. The Michigan Flora book says that hybrids of intermedia with violacea produce the flowers with those long wings. And intermedia had been renamed frutescens. The on-line Michigan Flora guide doesn't even include the species in Michigan.

But, here's this plant. Clearly a Bush Clover. Sigh... I can't really go any farther without one of my real botanist friends, who mostly don't like fielding questions from amateur me.

Time to move on.

How about one I clearly identified? This is Hairy Bush Clover, Lespedeza hirta. It has little tiny hairs- lots of them

hairy bush clover

It grows straight up and then sends up stalks for the flowers.

hairy bush clover

One of them was opening yesterday.

hairy bush clover

I've seen a third species in the area, but don't have pictures of it.

It's back to work tomorrow. I don't really feel ready for that.

See Martin Johnson and a Little Walk
if you like this blog, click the +1   or

Like This!


1 comment:

Secondary Roads said...

Thanks for the info on an interesting plant.