Entries to Win Afghan

Sign up to receive the Books Leaving Footprints Newsletter. Comes out occasionally. No spam. No list swapping. Just email me! jhyshark@gmail.com Previous gifts include a short story, a poem, and coupons. Add your name, and don't miss out!

Saturday, July 22, 2023

Mason County Garden Club Flower Show 2023- Best of Show


Today, I'll show you some of the entries that got special merit awards. Not all of them, because I didn't picture them ALL, and some of the pictures aren't all that great.

First up, because it's so showy is a Dahlia, which took an Award of Merit. The variety of Dahlia is not listed. I don't know much about Dahlias, except that you have to bring them inside every winter. That mean's I'll never grow them!
red-orange dahlia


Another Award of Merit went to this Fuchsia. Again, no variety was listed. I tried to find it, but it turns out there are a lot of them with these long slender flowers. I didn't know that.
slender red fuchsia


This photo took its category in the photography contest, and it also got the Botanical Arts Photography Award. I like it a lot. The plant is Cosmos bippanatus- common garden Cosmos, but the picture is super-artsy.
award winning art photo of cosmos


This one got a Special Award in the miniature arrangement category. The whole thing is about 8 inches high. It has Blue Spruce, a Carnation, a Chrysanthemum, moss, and Smooth Brome Grass.


This arrangement took the Youth Award. It has Baby's Breath, Chrysanthemums, Carnations, and Button Chrysanthemums. I think there are Gerbera Daisies in there too.
cut flower arrangement


The Coleus arrangement got the Growers Award. The class was for non-flowering plants (they do have flowers, but they aren't flowering at the moment), and this contestent listed the varieties! 'Rodeo Drive, 'Main Street Orchard Road,' and 'Gay's Delight.' Very nice.
coleus


Tomorrow, I'll show you some of my personal favorites.

I worked on my current project, and some in the rock garden.

If you know our Josh, say a little prayer if you want. He's back in the hospital with blood clots again. I'm going in to see him in a couple of minutes. They hadn't got him in a room yet when I called last.

See MCGC Flower Show 2023

2 comments:

Ann said...

That miniature arrangement is nice. I like that last one too.

Sharkbytes said...

Hi Ann- good colors in the mini