Entries to Win Afghan

Sign up to receive the Books Leaving Footprints Newsletter. Comes out occasionally. No spam. No list swapping. Just email me! jhyshark@gmail.com Previous gifts include a short story, a poem, and coupons. Add your name, and don't miss out!

Sunday, July 23, 2023

Mason County Garden Club Flower Show 2023- Personal Favorites


There may be more entries in "my favorites" than is good to share in one day. Today I'll show you things I really liked but that were not new to me. You know I love to learn new things, so that will be for tomorrow.

One of the popular categories of entry is Table Settings. There were four "picnic" spreads. I'm always drawn to the bright colors.
picnic table setting


In the regular Table Settings, this one took first place, and the Table Artistry ribbon. I was listening to the lady who designed it telling a friend about how the orange napkins were almost an afterthought, and putting them in the glasses was strictly last minute, but it tied the whole thing together.
table setting with lilies


This patriotic table took second place. Both it and the picnic above were arranged by a friend of mine. This one was in the running for first place, but the plates were not pure white. They had a little green edging, and it was just enough to bump the display down.
patriotic table setting


This setting also took a blue ribbon. Maybe it was a different category. The two above are more like buffet setups, and this one is for people to sit at a table. Anyway, this one is my personal favorite display of the whole show. We each got one ticket. You may have noticed little paper bags in some of the pictures. You put your ticket in the bag for the display you like best. That gives them a people's choice winner, and they also use it as a way to count attendence. I was surprised that I chose one with more subdued colors. However, what did it for me is the perfection of color coordination. There is not one single element that clashes with the rest. The colors in everything are in perfect harmony with everything else.
table setting in green and yellow


Another one of the displays was "Bees in Your Bonnet," which was to decorate a hat with flowers. This entry took the whole thing literally, and it's too funny! It was also the only one to have an actual painted face under the hat rather than a blank mannekin or nothing. The only thing the judges noted was that the scarf somewhat overwhelmed the display.
decorated hat with a bee on the person's nose


This is another of the miniature displays. Although I get why the one I showed you yesterday won, I preferred this one. Those little rocking chairs with a planter in the seat are pretty trite. I like the assymetry of this one and the off-center holes in the holder. The name of the category was "Tiny Treasures," and I think this fits.
miniature flower arrangement


These last two favorites for today are plant entries in the horticultural room. This one is Gooseneck Loosestrife. I haven't seen it very often, and I like it a lot. Not to be confused with the wildflower Lizard Tail, but the flower is similar. It's just funky!
gooseneck loosestrife


And my last picture for today will be- no surprise it made a favorites list- a succulent planter. There is a list of all the plants. I always appreciate that! Echeveria 'Black Prince' - that's the big one. Graptopetalum- I think one of the pale rosettes. Sempervivum- front and center. Four other Echeverias- the other rosettes, one of which is the Ghost Echeveria which is the one blooming. Sedum rubrotinctum 'Aurea' - I think that's the cluster on the front left. Sedum adelphi 'Firestorm'- maybe the reddish leaves sticking up over the edge of the Black Prince. Ice plant- the trailing green stems. Aeonium arboreum 'Zwartkop'- not sure since I don't see a rosette that looks like it, but maybe it's hiding. Anyway. You know I love this. It's a professional level succulent planter- as good as many at the Philadelphia Flower Show.


I worked all day, alternating between a computer project (the priority one that has my attention), and digging up autumn olive. I really wanted to finish that today, but I just pooped out. I spent a total of 1 1/4 hours digging them up, and I still have 4 bushes to go to be able to mow the next piece of yard. Next time!

Now I'm off to visit Josh. He will probably be released tomorrow. The biggest issue was actually to get someone who could take care of his dog. "Woofie" doesn't know me, and would not let me in the house. But we got it taken care of.

See MCGC Flower Show- Best of Show

4 comments:

Ann said...

These are great. Love to see the different ways people will set a table. That one that you chose is perfect. Everything works together perfectly

Lin said...

I'm happy that Josh is feeling better!

The Oceanside Animals said...

Lulu: "We also like the mannequin with the painted face! So cute!"
Charlee: "Good news about Josh! The hospital is no place to be. This we know!"

Sharkbytes said...

Ann- I agree

Lin- yup- he's home now- see today's post

Lulu- do you get cross-eyed when a bee lands on your nose?

Charlee- I suspect Josh handles hospital better than most kitties. He was very patient which made the momma's life easier.