Entries to Win Afghan

Sign up to receive the Books Leaving Footprints Newsletter. Comes out occasionally. No spam. No list swapping. Just email me! jhyshark@gmail.com Previous gifts include a short story, a poem, and coupons. Add your name, and don't miss out!

Wednesday, July 12, 2023

Rock Garden Report 5


I wanted to have more of this done before I showed you, but it's going to a couple more hours or so of work to get to that point, and that's probably not going to happen for a few more days, so here's the progress I did make. Here's the photo from the same angle so you can see the change. Yes, there is a big difference!
rock garden


See the shovel on the left? I wanted to get that edge all finished before I shared. I've been digging up the dirt on that side. I still have to put in rocks, and I don't have quite enough rocks hauled up here. Most of the rocks are from the foundation of our old house. They are now either in the rock garden or in a pile down by the road. I'll need to bring up some more.

The reason for expansion isn't really about expansion. The size of the rock garden was predetermined by the need to cover the space that is too steep to drive the lawnmower down. Yeah, there will still be a little to trim by hand, but not much.

I'll just share a few of the new plants tonight. This is a Thyme hybrid called 'Sparkling Bright." There's not much contrast with the dry sandy ground, but after it fills in, there will be a nice light-colored area. The tiny leaves are variegated, and the flowers are pink/purple. It sits up like a little shrub instead of lying flat on the ground. So far, it looks happy.
thyme sparkling bright


This is parts of two of my numbered spaces. Above the wood there is currently just one plant. That is half of the sedum I bought 2 years ago, one of the Sun Sparkler hybrid series called 'Dream Dazzler.' It has turned deep purple in the sun. This half isn't looking quite as happy as the other half, but I think it's going to be fine. It's proven it will survive on my hill over two winters already.

On the left, below the wood, is Sedum hybrid 'Bright Idea.' It's very happy, and that makes me happy. It looks like it will stay in a nice erect mound with clusters of yellow flowers. (I paid full price for that baby, but it looks like it will be worth it.) On the right below the wood is an unknown Sedum that Betty gave me. The leaves are blue-green with reddish stems. There are so many cultivars it could be... who knows?
sedums in a rock garden


Then there's the sedum Deb gave me last week. I'm 90% sure it's Sedum ellecambianum, which is one of the ones I have that I was glad to see survive. However, mine has been in crappy soil for 25 years. Deb's was in great soil. So mine is about 2 inches tall, and hers is 8 inches. Sedums are tough, but this was in bloom when she dug some up, and we just tossed it in a tray. It's now been in the ground for 4 days, and it's starting to perk up. I'm sure it won't be this tall next year when it discovers the reality of the soil it's now going to have to deal with. That's OK. I planted clumps in three spaces in my garden, and we'll see how it does.
sedum ellecambianum


I told you there are other nice views of the rock garden. This is from the deck after the rain started. With the ground wet and dark it makes everything look better. Of course, there is just way too much bare, open space at this point, but if I manage to keep up the maintenance it will look nice in maybe 2 years. Part of that depends on how much money I spend and how quickly the plants I have put in spread. But I always see what things could be rather than what they are. So if you just see dirt with a few measly plants... sorry, I see nice patches of all shades of green and blue-green and purple.
rock garden


I moved the new plant that was so unhappy. I don't know what I was thinking of when I bought it. I've thought of two plants I could put there instead. One I can buy locally, the other I'll have to order. We'll see what the prices are when they go on sale.

The big non-garden news of the day is that I finished another article, was recorded for a podcast, and, and... drum roll. This is huge because I had to beat myself into doing it. I got all the autumn olive out of part of the yard by the road and mowed that section. There are still two other sections that need ditto, but it's a start.

Now it's raining which is such a blessing!

P.S. I'm sorry this all probably looks like bare dirt to you. It is making me incredibly happy. I know that true joy does not come from things, but sometimes they help.

See Rock Garden Report 4

4 comments:

Ann said...

looking good

The Oceanside Animals said...

Lulu: "Oh we are big fans of dirt here! It is so much fun to dig in! Although I mean you probably wouldn't want us doing that in your rock garden, but still ..."

The Furry Gnome said...

That looks like a terrific start for a beautiful rock garden. Looks like the early stage of one I built.

Sharkbytes said...

Ann and Stew- thanks for the encouragement

Lulu- there is plenty of other dirt you could dig in. You'd just have to leave THIS dirt alone.