Entries to Win Afghan

Sign up to receive the Books Leaving Footprints Newsletter. Comes out occasionally. No spam. No list swapping. Just email me! jhyshark@gmail.com Previous gifts include a short story, a poem, and coupons. Add your name, and don't miss out!

Saturday, July 15, 2023

O'Flynn's and Back Again


My vendor event today was in Cedar Springs at a small art gallery called O'Flynn's. We were part of the Cedar Springs Summer Vibes Sidewalk Sale day.
O'Flynn's art gallery


It's a pretty nice little gallery for a small town, and the owner likes authors. I found out she is one herself, so that explains why they support authors with book premiers, and author signings, etc. Most of the vendors were out on the street, but the gallery offered a few spaces inside, and I took one. There were two of us inside. They provided the tables and covers and chairs. That was nice- less stuff to haul around for me. And since I was inside, I didn't have to fight with the canopy.
O'Flynn's art gallery


In addition to art for sale, the room itself is decorated with some whimsical wrap-around murals on the support posts. I like this one best.
painting of a girl catching fireflies in a jar


I came home in the black, so I can't complain at all, but there was almost no street traffic. That has to be disappointing for the city, and some vendors left early.

You already know what I did on the way home. I took the back roads! I think I managed to find some I'd never been on before, and even the ones I have previously driven, I haven't been on for a long time.

Nice farm fields with the corn looking quite good, given how dry the weather has been.
corn field and a barn


I don't think I'd driven the road between Pickerel and Sylvan Lakes before. This is Sylvan Lake. They are completely surrounded by cottages, but I can accept that some lakes are going to be populated, and the water is still pretty.
Sylvan Lake Newaygo County Michigan


You knew this was coming, right? There had to be at least one road like this. This is Lincoln Street in Newaygo County. I met a truck coming the other way, but it was at a curve where there was a wider space!
dirt road with trees overhanging


Not much else happened today. At least it wasn't a stressful event in any way, and I made friends with the next-table vendor. Two people I knew came in to see me. That's always fun. Certainly this is not why I hiked the NCT again, but several people recognized me from news stories. Being a mini-celebrity won't hurt book sales; that's for sure.

See Headshots

4 comments:

Jeri said...

I wish I’d known you were in Cedar Springs today.. I would’ve driven the seven miles to say hi and even buy a book or two. While you were there did you get over the Cedar Springs brewery for some German food? Or The Red Bird just down the street. The White Pine Trail runs through the middle of town and they have a lovely little park there.

Ann said...

Always good when you end up in the black after an event. How nice that you didn't have to take the canopy or the tables. That sure made it easy..

Lin said...

Glad you were in the black at the end of the day. It's worth going.

I like taking the back roads home. I like to see the country, the sky, and the cows.

Sharkbytes said...

Hi Jeri- Well, I posted a couple of times on Facebook for promotion. Sorry you didn't see it. I saved my money and packed a lunch.

Ann- It was great. But I'm sure glad I didn't have to use the pink or purple table covers.

Lin- me too!