Entries to Win Afghan

Sign up to receive the Books Leaving Footprints Newsletter. Comes out occasionally. No spam. No list swapping. Just email me! jhyshark@gmail.com Previous gifts include a short story, a poem, and coupons. Add your name, and don't miss out!

Wednesday, March 25, 2009

The Happiness of the Bluebird

 

bluebird sitting near nesting box

I am beginning this post with a lousy photo, but here's why. Remember that I got the bluebird boxes put up and was hopeful that my flashy friend would want to stay and build a nest? He's here, and checking it out! I actually saw him go into the box just before he popped out and sat on this log. I grabbed the camera the minute I saw him, and snapped this shot through my office window- double glazed glass and a screen. I'm actually surprised you can even tell it's a bluebird!

bluebird sitting near nesting boxbluebird sitting near nesting box

Then I went to the living room where I could shoot pictures through just glass in the deck door. These are better. I tried to sneak out on the deck, and he didn't fly away completely, but went up in the branches where I couldn't get a clear shot.

He's been here today too, flitting between the two nesting boxes. I hope that he decides to make one his 2009 home, and of course I really hope that it will be the box that I can see from my window. This box is only a few feet away from the now-fallen tree they nested in last year, so I know the proximity to the house won't deter him.

I always wonder if it is the same bird that returns each year. He certainly seemed to know where to look for a suitable hole. I hope I've returned his favor and made him happy!


See My Bluebird of Happiness
if you like this blog, click the +1   or

Like This!

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

What a colourful bird! It certainly earns it's name.

rainfield61 said...

"snapped this shot through my office window"????!!!!! You have misused your office hour. Haaaaaaa.

Sharkbytes (TM) said...

HI Solomon- Yes, they are really gorgeous! A lot of people don't realize how much red the males have because usually one just sees that blue back flashing in the light.

Oh, rainfield! I misuse my office hour as much as possible! There is only one boss (me) to yell at me.

Secondary Roads said...

That's wonderful. Wrens and swallows want to take over the bluebird boxes around here. They frequently sit in the young maple tree near our dining room window. They are beautiful, and they eat a lot of insects.

Anonymous said...

While the focus is not great on the photos, the impact is clear. Spring is upon us and I love this time of year.

Blessings

Rick (Ratty) said...

While I was out today, I think I saw a bluebird, but it was too far away to get a picture. I kept seeing flashes of blue as it would fly from tree to tree. Your pictures should help me greatly in identifying one when I get to see it closer.

betchai said...

i do that too, when i see a bird from the window, i take a picture first from the inside with glass window in between just in case when i go out the bird would fly away. i love seeing blue bird, but what i see mostly here are stellar jay which is also blue. you are right, it is not about the photo but the message it brings. it is wonderful if it is the same bird that goes back to your place each year.

Sharkbytes (TM) said...

Greetings, Chuck- Thanks for coming by! I like the wrens and swallows too. We had a wren nest here last year. I'm hoping it will be back.

Hi Dr. Bruce- Well, I know they are not the greatest photos, but this is a blog about my experiences, not a photography blog. I often get good shots, not always! Getting even halfway decent pictures of birds is so new to me- thanks to the new camera- that I am quite happy.

Ratty- I DO hope you find your own bluebird. Glad I could maybe help a little

Hi Betchai- I don't know the stellar jay. I'll have to look it up. Sounds interesting. Ha- glad to know someone else figures that a shot through the window is better than nothing!

VanillaSeven said...

I bet the bluebird will choose its 2009 house, provided she no need to return her $1 million retention bonus ;)
Nice post!