Entries to Win Afghan

Sign up to receive the Books Leaving Footprints Newsletter. Comes out occasionally. No spam. No list swapping. Just email me! jhyshark@gmail.com Previous gifts include a short story, a poem, and coupons. Add your name, and don't miss out!

Tuesday, March 24, 2009

KitchenHenge - Installment 1

 
This is a poor beginning at a project I've wanted to do for a long time. I love to watch the sun move from north to south and back as the seasons change. I've been trying to document the sunrises on the solstices and equinoxes. I was going to show you the winter 2008 solstice (but I've apparently deleted that picture sigh), with the spring 2009 equinox.

This is all complicated by the gray sky we so often have in the winter when we never see the sun, and probably more significantly, by the fact that morning and I are NOT friends.

So what you are going to see is autumn 2008 equinox, a February 2009 sunrise, and a couple days after the spring 2009 equinox. I've put a red line through the same tree in each picture so you can get oriented and see how the sun has moved. One thing I think is really interesting is that the two equinoxes don't have the sun in the exact same place. Is that because the sun was higher in the sky in the February picture? If it's because I missed the actual date by a couple of days then the sun should have been farther to the left (north).

I can see why the ancients became fascinated with this stuff.

Oh, and KitchenHenge? That's because my rule is that I stand on the top outside kitchen step to take the picture. I'll try to continue the collection with a bit more diligence, and consistency of zoom, etc.

September 21, 2008
sunrise autumn 2008 equinox

February 17, 2009
sunrise Feb 17 2009

March 23, 2009
sunrise spring 2009 equinox

See Trail Work Day
if you like this blog, click the +1   or

Like This!







7 comments:

Lin said...

I like the name, Kitchenhenge. Very creative. And it made me laugh.

Rick (Ratty) said...

I've tried similar comparison ideas, but in a much smaller way. I'm just not organized enough to do it right, but I keep plenty of archives.

rainfield61 said...

What a good idea to have such a comparison!!

Anonymous said...

Your writing is always so uplifting! I just have to stop by for a fix. Nice photos!

Sharkbytes (TM) said...

Hi Lin- Well, the location is as romantic as a kitchen... oh, it IS a kitchen. No stones of significant size!

Hi Ratty- I'm trying to get the pix better organized, but it's a big project. I can't believe I deleted the winter solstice pic, but I can't find it.

rainfield- I've been watching it so many years, I'd just like to be able to show it.

cherlock! Thank you so much. Hope to see you here often.

betchai said...

wow, this is great comparison photo, may have to do this one too, but I may forget about organizing since I am very poor on that.

Sharkbytes said...

Hi betchai- It would be fun if a bunch of us managed to get a equinox and solstice pictures from around the world.