Entries to Win Afghan

Sign up to receive the Books Leaving Footprints Newsletter. Comes out occasionally. No spam. No list swapping. Just email me! jhyshark@gmail.com Previous gifts include a short story, a poem, and coupons. Add your name, and don't miss out!

Tuesday, March 31, 2009

Spring in the Kitchen - Third Installment

 

long shot of Gasteria maculata

Here is the other kitchen plant that is now blooming. It's a really difficult one to picture! Above is what the whole thing looks like today. The plant we are talking about is right in the middle with two long snaky stalks spreading out, one to each side. The picture below is what those two stalks looked like on March 6.

Gasteria maculata buds

This is a Gasteria. That is the genus. I think the species might be maculata. In plain English it would be spotted stomach-plant! It grows and divides like crazy! If anyone would like one, just let me know and send a couple of bucks and YOU can have one. This is the third time it's bloomed in about 10 years. It gets its name because the flowers look like little stomachs.

Gasteria maculata blooms

The above picture is on macro with the new camera, and the one below is on super macro, which I obviously don't have figured out as well. I wanted to show you how the tips still look like the buds and the flowers sort of begin to droop from the lower part of the stalk.

Gasteria maculata blooms and tip

The countdown to the hike needs to begin. You can all help me be disciplined, just because I will know I am going to file a report each night!

Hike Planning Report
Spent 1.25 hours working on the maps. Managed to get one of the sections of GPS info that we have superimposed on the map to compare it with the published route.

Made mango banana fruit leather. It's still in the dehydrator.
See A Major Hiking Goal Decision - my 2 year plan
See First Google Map to see the route for the May hike



6 comments:

Rick (Ratty) said...

I don't have even one houseplant, but seeing these brings back fond memories of my grandma. She always had plants inside and outside. She was one of the main people that taught me to love nature.

Rick (Ratty) said...

Oh, I don't know if if this helps with the discipline thing, but I think dehydrated food is great. I eat stuff like this on a routine basis.

betchai said...

oh, i don't know what else i can help you with be disciplined to attain your goal since it seems to me you are preparing yourself everyday, but rest assured, you will be in my thoughts and prayers for the accomplishment of your hiking goal, i just read about it and i am so proud for you.

Solomon said...

A relative of mine had a gasterneria too. They have really pretty flowers, I think. :)

rainfield61 said...

Count me on. I shall be with you on the hike, spiritually.

Sharkbytes (TM) said...

Hi Ratty- I'm quickly moving to plants that are pretty hard to kill. But even succulents need water and food now and again! I'll be dehydrating LOTS this month. You'll hear all about it.

Betchai and rainfield- I'm going to enjoy knowing that all my new blogging friends will be "with" me.

Solomon- I'm not sure how much I like the gasteria flowers, but they are a novelty, and I'm usually interested in that.