Entries to Win Afghan

Sign up to receive the Books Leaving Footprints Newsletter. Comes out occasionally. No spam. No list swapping. Just email me! jhyshark@gmail.com Previous gifts include a short story, a poem, and coupons. Add your name, and don't miss out!

Thursday, May 20, 2010

Chipping Sparrow


chipping sparrow

I didn't manage to catch some of the behavior I observed for these little Chipping Sparrows, Spizella passerina. It looks as if they are wiping their beaks on this branch. That may be just what they are doing. What do you think they ate that made them want to clean up?

They are some of my favorite sparrows. They are small, and very common, but endearing. I love their bright chestnut heads. More tame than many birds, they will hang around under windows, on sidewalks, etc. tilting their heads as if listening when you talk to them.
chipping sparrow

Ah! Now perhaps you can guess what these sparrows were enjoying. See the white "net" behind them? That is a tent caterpillar nest. Even though I didn't get a picture, I can guarantee that there are at least two fewer caterpillars than there were a few minutes previous.


See Tent Caterpillar Cycle


11 comments:

RNSANE said...

Do sparrows have such little tummies only two caterpillers will fill them up? They are such sweet little birds!

Anonymous said...

Pretty and sweet birds! After eating the worms they probably wiping their beats.

rainfield61 said...

Those sparrow perched on a strategic area. There is always easy meal for them.

Though my tailorbirds need to search for their food, I do not think it is much harder either.

The Oceanside Animals said...

Go sparrows! Boo tent caterpillars! (Although individual tent caterpillars are actually quite cute ...)

Duxbury Ramblers said...

Our House Sparrow - Passer domesticus was once so numerous I could never count them but they have decline so quickly over these last few years that they are now classed as red status, there have been various reasons put forward but no one is really sure why, the last two seasons we have had a couple of families back in the hedge, I am glad to see them again.

Joanne Olivieri said...

Shark, what a fantastic closeup, they are so cute. Yes, I assume after a caterpillar they would need to clean up :) Though birds, no matter what they are dining on always clean those beaks. They're kind of OCD that way.

Ann said...

I'll assume that caterpillars are a delicacy to a sparrow. Those are some great pictures

Sharkbytes said...

Carmen- I think I only caught them at one each. who knows how many they enjoyed?

Icy- yes, I think that's what they are doing.

rainfield- well, there are PLENTY of the tent caterpillars for them again this year.

Dennis- I used to keep them as pets when I was a kid. They do have lovely little blue spots.

Carol- well, all they have to do is come and scoop up thousands of them from our cities. Your house sparrow is considered a serious pest here. (introduced in late 1800s)

Jo- birds are all OCD aren't they?

Ann- protein is important as well as seeds

Rick (Ratty) said...

I like these sparrows. I think I have a few pictures of some of these. It was that spot of red on its head that I noticed.

Sharkbytes said...

Ratty- I'm sure you have them there. Glad you like them too.

RohFun Group said...

Hello
same sparrow live in India, name is (Sindh Sparrow

http://rohripic.blogspot.com