Entries to Win Afghan

Sign up to receive the Books Leaving Footprints Newsletter. Comes out occasionally. No spam. No list swapping. Just email me! jhyshark@gmail.com Previous gifts include a short story, a poem, and coupons. Add your name, and don't miss out!

Sunday, May 16, 2010

That Mystery Fern Again

fragile fern

Remember this cute little fern that grows in the cemetery ravine? I'm STILL struggling with it. In April I decided that it must be Rusty Woodsia. Now I'm not so sure. Here it is today.



Still looks about the same, right. Well... on the top. Underneath it is beginning to show the sori. Sori are little dots of spores. What I can't tell yet is if the spores are covered with a little thing called an indusium.



But, you can clearly see the pattern of the sori. I'm pretty sure now that it can't be Rusty Woodsia, but is probably one of the other Woodsia. It might be Blunt-lobed Woodsia, Woodsia obtusa.



I just hope that it develops a lot this week so that I can get a better look at those spores. And... I've ordered a better fern book than my little beginner book. I think I'm ready.

Update Note: April 2011- this has been identified almost certainly as Fragile Fern Cystopteris fragilis.

I have so many things to share! I just keep finding new things everywhere I look! But I also have prep for the next round of hiking to do- we will leave in about 10 days. Thanks so much to those of you who keep coming back to share my journeys, whether around the back yard or out on a more distant trail. You make it even more fun for me!


See Rusty Woodsia?

6 comments:

Julia said...

It's always fun to find new plants close to home!! I'm sure you will have this fern ID'd before too long now.

Duxbury Ramblers said...

You got me reaching for my books sharky - will let you know if I find anything.

Carol.

Ann said...

I wouldn't know one from the other but I like the pattern, looks like little polka dots.

Joanne Olivieri said...

Shark, I'm with Ann, those little polka dots are adorable, whatever it is.

Rick (Ratty) said...

Very interesting. I'm sure you'll find the identity soon enough. I took several pictures of ferns recently after being influenced by all of your fern posts. Mine aren't good enough to share, but it's at least a start for me.

Sharkbytes said...

Julia- I'm looking forward to my new book which may give more information.

Carol- sounds good! I am trying hard to sort these all out. Trying to catch up with my fav blogs. I hope to get to yours tomorrow!

Ann- yes the polka dots are fun to watch as they mature.

Jo- As we ease into summer, I hope to share other fern polka dots!

Ratty- It's really hard to know what to picture until some sort of order begins to form in the head. I finally feel like I'm sort of getting there with ferns. Well, the local ones anyway. I seem to know just enough to know that I need better info.