Entries to Win Afghan

Sign up to receive the Books Leaving Footprints Newsletter. Comes out occasionally. No spam. No list swapping. Just email me! jhyshark@gmail.com Previous gifts include a short story, a poem, and coupons. Add your name, and don't miss out!

Sunday, December 8, 2013

The (Almost) Yearly Nativity Project

 

I have to confess that I haven't upheld this tradition properly for all of the 60ish years it's been my responsibility.

Since I was a child I've tried to set up the creche, the nativity scene, differently every year. Last year... well... it was still up from 2011. But, at least it was displayed, right?

This year, I combined a number of natural items, embellished with a little gold paint. Most of these were picked up in Alabama, including the Red Buckeye seeds.

I added a few sweetgum burs from cousin Jean's yard too. Then I threw in some feathers because it needed a taller vertical element, and made some "flowers" with acorns and peppercorns. There are also beechnuts, Sycamore burs, some Ohio Buckeyes, and some plain old Horsechestnuts.

Christmas nativity scene

The lights don't show very well in the picture, but they look like a starry sky behind the blue cloth backdrop. I think that turned out really well.

Maybe next year I'll have to go modern again. The one thing that never changes is the figures. They came from my mother's childhood.

See My Yearly Nativity Project
See The Nativity Scene Goes Up
if you like this blog, click the +1   or

Like This!

6 comments:

The Furry Gnome said...

I like that.

Lin said...

That's a great idea!! I like that you incorporate treasures from your travels.

Anonymous said...

I like it, much different than what you usually see.

Ann said...

I love how you used all the different elements. I noticed the lights right away and thought that was an awesome idea

Sharkbytes said...

Thanks, Stew!

Lin- I had so many treasures this year, and I wanted to show them off

Catskill- I don't know your real name! I do try to be different

Ann- the lights aren't an original idea, but they work really well.

Secondary Roads said...

This year I've set up the creche in such a way as to allow for changes every couple of days.

The star finally appeared this morning. Meanwhile, a choir of angels is singing to some shepherds.