Entries to Win Afghan


If you like my books, essays, etc. you might want to put your name on this private email list (no spam ever) for advance notices, coupons, and occasional freebies. Tell your friends too! Books Leaving Footprints Newsletter. Previous gifts include a short story, a poem and a half-off coupon for the newest book. Sign up, and don't miss out!"
Winners are: 3rd place- e-book of your choice: Wendy Nystrom. 2nd place- book of your choice, paper or e-book: Sue Ann Crawford. Winner of the afghan: Elaine Hull.

Saturday, October 29, 2016

Salvage and Recycle or Just Plain Cheap?

 
I will easily confess to all of the above. Other than being lazy today, I mended a cotton thermal blanket.

thermal blanket

While it's true that I could order a brand new one for under $20, I had this one. It was my mom's, part of her home medical equipment from her last years. I wanted a blanket that doesn't itch. I've become very sensitive to almost all synthetics.

This blanket had a major problem along one edge. The other damage made me think mice got in it, but this looks more like it got caught on something that also stained it. So I simply cut 14" off the side that had that big hole. Still leaves it plenty large enough for where I want to use it.

thermal blanket

It required four patches made from the salvaged good parts of the edge I cut off. Those holes were 2-3" on a side.

thermal blanket

Also machine darned seven other holes of about 1" diameter.

thermal blanket

Is it like new? Heck no. Is it serviceable for 10-20 years for me? Absolutely. And there's $20 I saved!

See How the Queen Packrat saved $35 and Made the Dog Sad
if you like this blog, click the +1   or

Like This!

3 comments:

Ann said...

I'm all for salvaging something old instead of buying something new. Not to mention it's a bit rewarding knowing that you fixed it yourself

Secondary Roads said...

Very good salvage job. Extra points for creativity.

vanilla said...

Cheap? No, practical; and admiration from one whose motto is "Use it up, wear it out, make it do, or do without.

Related Posts Widget for Blogs by LinkWithin