Entries to Win Afghan

Sign up to receive the Books Leaving Footprints Newsletter. Comes out occasionally. No spam. No list swapping. Just email me! jhyshark@gmail.com Previous gifts include a short story, a poem, and coupons. Add your name, and don't miss out!

Monday, October 23, 2017

German Yellowjacket- It's What's for Dinner

 
These wasps have been building a nest inside our kitchen wall since August. Wasp spray doesn't seem to deter them hardly at all. We've been operating under an uneasy truce whenever I open the kitchen door. So far, I haven't been stung.

German Yellowjacket wasp

I've been waiting for a freeze so they will be slowed down and I can seriously bomb that space with something stronger. They are really fast, and I haven't gotten a good focused picture of a live one.

German Yellowjacket wasp

There are enough dead ones lying around the house that I can look at under magnification to tell you that these are (what else?) alien, invasive wasps. It's Vespula germanica, the German Yellowjacket.

I'm not sure we'll get rid of them without professional help, but I'll give it another try after a freeze.

Meanwhile, someone is happy to have German Yellowjacket for dinner. I don't think he or she is going to eat fast enough, however, to really help.

German Yellowjacket wasp being eaten by a praying mantis

German Yellowjacket wasp being eaten by a praying mantis

Accountability Report:
Read a book.
Worked a bit on sorting stuff around the house.
Started Chapter 51 of Dead Mule Swamp Druggist.

See Monsters and Fairies
if you like this blog, click the +1   or

Like This!

3 comments:

Lin said...

Oooh, look at him go on that bee!

Sounds like a big job to get rid of them if they have been in there all summer.

Ann Thompson said...

To each his own. Doesn't sound too tasty to me but what do I know 😀

The Oceanside Animals said...

hello sharkbytes its dennis the vizsla dog hay mmm jerman fud!!! altho i thawt it wuz mor like sawsadjes and schnitzel and things like that insted of melloyellojakkets!!! but wotever flotes yore bote mr mantis!!! ok bye