Entries to Win Afghan

Sign up to receive the Books Leaving Footprints Newsletter. Comes out occasionally. No spam. No list swapping. Just email me! jhyshark@gmail.com Previous gifts include a short story, a poem, and coupons. Add your name, and don't miss out!

Monday, January 22, 2018

Half Moon a Yard Wide

 
Remember the Half Moon Cookies? If I'd had a big cookie cutter, the frosting was already in place today. I totally jinxed the snow by buying skis, I guess.

melting snow

After the pump guys came again this morning, pulled the whole pump and took it away... I spent the rest of the day working on getting the sample copies of The Secret Cellar ready to send to my test reader families. I have seven families with a total of 22 kids. (That leaves one sample copy for me.) A few of them are too young to provide feedback, but I think 19 of them can either read the book or understand the story if it's read to them. I'm eager to hear their reactions. Hopefully, I can make changes to make the books better based on their comments.

The interiors are all printed and collated. I should have a sample cover (a step better than my concept covers) in the next day from my cover artist, to go on these. I have a heavy duty stapler to finish the project. This will put something close to a real book in the kids' hands, so they don't have to try to imagine what it will look like.

books without covers

Questions for kids and parents are ready to print. I will buy padded envelopes tomorrow and get them addressed.

The other major project of the day was also for this book, which is the rustic-looking (on purpose) directions for making a willow whistle.

willow whistle directions

Things have been so slow at work all month, I have not worked any Tuesday since Christmas. And this week is no exception, so I'll have tomorrow also to work on books.

You might remember that I did a final draft of the map a couple of days ago, so I think I can actually get back to writing the next book in the series, The Hitchhiker.

See draft of the map that's going in this book
if you like this blog, click the +1   or

Like This!

2 comments:

The Furry Gnome said...

Seems to me your books are coming along well these days.

Ann said...

You've been moving right along with the books.