Entries to Win Afghan

Sign up to receive the Books Leaving Footprints Newsletter. Comes out occasionally. No spam. No list swapping. Just email me! jhyshark@gmail.com Previous gifts include a short story, a poem, and coupons. Add your name, and don't miss out!

Tuesday, November 24, 2009

Fighting the Gray - Memories of an Ohio Spring


violet wood sorrel

Today was warm, and I did some more outside work, but talk about gray and dismal! I was looking through some older photos to add to a post on the North Country Trail News blog, and was reminded of how many beautiful wildflowers can be seen in southern Ohio in the spring.

So I've just brought you a few of them in this dreary Thanksgiving week. The first one above is the Violet Wood Sorrel, Oxalis violacea. Common Wood Sorrel has striped petals. I bet you've seen the Yellow Wood Sorrel in your lawn if you live in North America or Europe. Just picture those shamrock like leaves with a small yellow flower, and there's our common weed!

crested iris

Next is a cousin to the Bearded Iris of so many gardens. This is Crested Iris, Iris cristata a dwarf species. The color is just yummy, and it grows about 6 inches tall. It loves to "spill" down banks.

crested iris

Finally, this is the Showy Orchis, Galearis spectabilis. This one you are less likely to have seen. It has been recently moved to the genus Galearis by the folks who do serious taxonomy stuff. As such it's the only member of that genus in the New World. But it's still the same plant! Michigan State University plant maps show it in southern Michigan as well as Ohio where I saw it, and surprisingly, also near Marquette in the Upper Peninsula. Once you see this little gem, you will never forget it. The picture doesn't do it justice at all!

Hope you enjoyed the short visit to Ohio.


See Two Trumpets, Different Tunes, and an Itchy Cow? for other Ohio flowers
See Mini Iris in my garden


5 comments:

Anonymous said...

I love to see the flowers at this time of year, well all the time! Also, your background is beautiful!

Morten Pedersen said...

Thanks for the comment on my blog. It is nice to see some flowers since we have almost winter here and it is cold and dark outside in November.

Sharkbytes said...

Hi Icy- flowers are always good for a little cheer!

Morten- your pictures are really beautiful. Thanks for stopping by.

Rick (Ratty) said...

I've been thinking similar thoughts as I looked to the gloomy sky. I try to get a picture of something current, but I'm also determined to sometimes bring back some pictures from the warm and sunny past this year. You've brightened my day by doing this right now.

Sharkbytes said...

Hi Ratty- Yes, I prefer current things, but sometimes a good memory IS the quality in the day! I'm glad it made you smile too.