Entries to Win Afghan

Sign up to receive the Books Leaving Footprints Newsletter. Comes out occasionally. No spam. No list swapping. Just email me! jhyshark@gmail.com Previous gifts include a short story, a poem, and coupons. Add your name, and don't miss out!

Tuesday, November 24, 2009

A Pixie Hiding in My Grass


pixie cups

Wow, oh wow! These cute little lichen are not new to me, but I sure didn't know that I have them in "my kingdom." But this week I mowed all my paths to get them cleaned up for skiing before the snow arrives. Since some of the routes really don't get hiked, but are better for skiing, they got kinda lost in the grass. Thus, they may have been moved a bit when I mowed. And I did walk the fresh paths. Just one patch of these, about a foot square. The very biggest of the cups is maybe half an inch high. They are just darling!

pixie cups

I didn't really know that they would grow under grass. I've mostly seen them on rocks. The Adirondacks is covered with them. There are quite a few species, all in the genus Cladonia. I think these are Cladonia chlorophaea.

I just like them a lot. The are so adorable!

While I was trying to make certain of the species, I came across another blog that I know some of you will love. Its Duxbury Rambler. Enjoy.


See A Hike with Maggie and Marilyn for lichen on a log
See Likin' the Lichen

13 comments:

Duxbury Ramblers said...

Thank you for your lovely comments, I also like to look at flowers ect., from other parts of the world, it's amazing how many people never see the things of beauty around them. Will be back for more visits.

WillOaks Studio said...

Those a just precious! I've never seen this type of lichen but they seem to create their own magical little world! Lovely color, too.

Jennifer Shirk said...

How cute! You have the coolest greenery ever! :)

rainfield61 said...

The cups are cute. Watch your steps.

The Oceanside Animals said...

Oh wow, I missed that you were around the Adirondacks! Being an upstate New Yorker I spent a lot of time in the Adirondacks hiking around the area from Old Forge to Inlet to Blue Mountain Lake. It's the part of New York that I miss the most. *sniff*

Secondary Roads said...

Beauty awaits those who will seek it. Thanks for sharing your ongoing quest.

Ann said...

Well aren't those just the coolest looking things. I've never seen anything like that before.

Lin said...

THose are cool. I don't think we get those here. I don't remember ever seeing those before.

Sharkbytes said...

Duxbury- Yours is going to be one of my favorite blogs. You seem to like many of the things I focus on.

Karen- I bet you have them- they are really common, just seldom noticed.

Jennifer- thanks! Nature sure gives us variety!

Rainfield- yes, I am usually watching near my feet for new plants!

Dennis- I'm a Michigander now. Grew up in NY though.

Chuck- always something good!

Ann- you made my day! I love showing people new things.

Lin- I bet you have 'em hiding somewhere.

Anonymous said...

How beautiful those lichens are, and the cup shape is amazing!

Rick (Ratty) said...

You got some great pictures of these. I want to discover some of these for myself, just to see them. I guess I just don't look closely enough or I'm not in the right places. One day though. For now I'll just happily enjoy your pictures of them.

Sharkbytes said...

Icy- the miniature world really is amazing!

Ratty- damp and rather barren is your best bet. I usually see them on rock. This location seems really odd to me.

Julia said...

Those are gorgeous!! They remind me of the "bird's nest fungus" I forget their name. But the dainty stuff is so cool to me. Nice find.