Entries to Win Afghan

Sign up to receive the Books Leaving Footprints Newsletter. Comes out occasionally. No spam. No list swapping. Just email me! jhyshark@gmail.com Previous gifts include a short story, a poem, and coupons. Add your name, and don't miss out!

Saturday, November 21, 2009

Kayaking on November 21 !


kayaking

My good buddy Ellen called me yesterday afternoon. See, another good thing from yesterday, but I was still smarting from the not so good part. I'm losing my best web site client. I knew it was coming, but I had just received the official notice. OK, enough of that, but I didn't want you to wonder if it was something worse. So, Ellen called and said, "Come, tomorrow, and we'll kayak. I'll fix breakfast."

Did she ever! We had waffles with blueberry syrup, and an omelet. I took a persimmon to share. The day had started cold and foggy, but by the time we ate and she looked at some pix from my summer hikes, the sun had burned off most of the fog.

handing out paddles

"Have a paddle!" We headed down her road for the access to Bass Lake and her kayaks.

kayaker with flying swans

As we paddled across the lake a huge flock of trumpeter swans stretched nearly across the neck of the lake. They took to the skies as we approached and the sound was amazing. It was like hundreds of huge canvas tarps flapping in the wind.
beach grass

After paddling through the outlet we reached Lake Michigan, and hiked up the beach for a ways, just to use different muscles.

Lake Michigan at Bass Lake Outlet

The sun was actually warm. Who would believe that one could walk the Lake Michigan beach on November 21 in sandals, with feet in the water and not freeze? We were wearing sweatshirts and wind pants, but seriously, it was warm! You can see that the distance was still hazy, but it was a lovely day. The final picture is the best... one of those lucky shots- and it's much better if you click to enlarge it. This is Ellen in the outlet creek.
kayaker in sun

And just so you can have a laugh... I managed to sit down in the water, not once but twice! (Good thing it was warm!) And I didn't get the camera wet, so we can all laugh.

Even better, Ellen and I have decided to overcome the way that life seems to get in the way of adventures. We are going to do something on the first Friday of every month over the winter. Stay tuned!


See I Never Would Have Seen These If..."for a picture of a mute swan
See On the Beach - Part 1 for Lake Michigan a week ago, at a different location
See Beginning the Border Route for a song with a verse about canoeing


9 comments:

rainfield61 said...

You seemed to have a wonderful time. The not so good part was over.

Golden Woofs! SUGAR said...

Woof! WOW! Imagine Kayaking in November. Lots of Golden FUN, Woof! Sugar

Ann said...

That sounds like a perfect day. The breakfast part made me a little hungry. I really like that last picture, the way the sun is shining through the trees it looks awesome.
Love your plan for the first friday of each month, what a great way to pass the winter.

wenn said...

wow..it must be fun..

WillOaks Studio said...

Wonderful photos of what looks like a really wonderful adventure!! I used to kayak in AK often, but never here in the midwest--it didn't occur to me that Lake Michigan could be enjoyed on that level! Sorry about your loss and disruption to biz...I hope something new and better replaces it! BTW, yes, that last photo is really a winner!

Lin said...

What a good friend and beautiful land to make your spirits a bit better. I'm glad you had that day.

Rick (Ratty) said...

It's seeing things like this that make me wish I could swim better. Kayaking looks like a lot of fun, but I'm too afraid of the deep water to ever be able to try. At least I'm brave enough to walk along the edges of rivers. :D

Sharkbytes said...

rainfield- I just can't be down when I'm having this good of a time!

Hi Sugar- Yes, we humans try to stay out of the water when it's cold.

Ann- Ellen and I have SO much fun together, we just need to make it happen.

Hi Wenn- It is great fun! And kayaking is really easy to do.

Hi Karen- Well, it has to be a very calm day to take a kayak on the big lake, but Bass Lake is small with a short outlet to Lake Michigan. It was about an hour paddle each way.

Lin- Nothing like some sun and exercise!

Ratty- that's really a shame. Couldn't you do something to overcome your fear and at least learn to survival float or something so that you could go in boats? You are missing so much!

Karen & Gerard Zemek said...

Looks like a fun day and a great start with a good breakfast! YUM!! I've been canoeing but never Kayaking. Which do you think is easier--I'm thinking canoeing. Those are really nice pictures you got, thanks for sharing! I like reading about your adventures.