Entries to Win Afghan

Sign up to receive the Books Leaving Footprints Newsletter. Comes out occasionally. No spam. No list swapping. Just email me! jhyshark@gmail.com Previous gifts include a short story, a poem, and coupons. Add your name, and don't miss out!

Wednesday, November 4, 2009

More About the Old New Bike

 

bicycle at Atlantic Ocean

I'm using this here just because it's on my mind, and I'm enjoying the thoughts. I still haven't been able to go for a good bike ride on my "new" bicycle. The weather has been crummy. It was only really warm enough one day to go for a spin, and I didn't take advantage of it because the next day was supposed to be better. But of course, that next day was gray and damp!

But I did write a review of my old bike for Shared Reviews today because even though it is very old, the frame is good enough that if some bicycle aficionado were to find one, it would be worthy of refitting. So, to do that I scanned a picture of an event in a really special summer. In 1986 I got to ride that bike across the US, Coast to Coast. So... there I am, probably in the best shape of my life, standing in the edge of the Atlantic Ocean at the end of that ride! And that Fuji Finest bike was the one that I rode.

I did one other brave thing today too. I entered a short story in the Accentuate Writers monthly contest. It's actually on the October theme, since they extended the deadline. I'll let you know if I do well, but don't hold your breath.


See A "New" Bike
See Accentuate Writers
See Fuji Finest at Shared Reviews

8 comments:

Glynis Peters said...

DH loves his bike, he rides around the vineyards with dog running behind. I am thinking about a bike, but not sure I will use it much.
You certainly look trim in the pic.

Mike said...

Great pic quite nostalgic. Reminds me of younger days.

Mind you I am still biking although the equipment is a little different now!

blackberry application said...

biking can make your life still healthy.
that is not my hobby, my hoby is traveling, but thats all still ok

Secondary Roads said...

Love that pic! The smile, the bike, the water. Cool breeze and a goal reached. Wonderful.

spinninglovelydays said...

Hi, Sharkbytes! My husband and I have been talking about taking up biking. Your post just inspired me even more. :)
Btw, I have an award for you over at my blog.

Sharkbytes said...

Hi Glynis- getting around by bike is great fun and good exercise too.

Hi Mike- Lots of my friends have switched to recumbants due to back problems.

Blackberry- thanks for stopping by

Chuck- You always make me feel good! Thank you.

Hi Ivy- I will check it out. Thank you. I hope you get those bikes!

Rick (Ratty) said...

Every time you write about your bike I start missing mine. I think that bike gave me my first taste of outdoor fun since I've been an adult. It's good to learn to have fun outside after too many years of being obsessed with mostly work.

Sharkbytes said...

Ratty- Yes, I didn't get to ride much this year and I really missed it. The muscles just seem to crave certain activities.