Entries to Win Afghan

Sign up to receive the Books Leaving Footprints Newsletter. Comes out occasionally. No spam. No list swapping. Just email me! jhyshark@gmail.com Previous gifts include a short story, a poem, and coupons. Add your name, and don't miss out!

Wednesday, February 9, 2011

Baby, It's Cold Outside


weather label
I pulled this from my ISP just before Maggie and I went outside this morning. The temperature is no big deal. The killer is that wind chill (see "Feels Like"). I wore that "omni-heat" lining for my fancy coat, and finally found out the conditions it was made for. It was the first time I haven't found it to be unbearably hot.

ski maskI knew from yesterday that the wind on my face was not a good thing. I hate ski masks, but with a wind chill of -3 degrees F, I'm willing to be annoyed by their tickling, stinking and inability to stay adjusted so that I can see out. Do I look like a thug?

Were there any redeeming qualities? Definitely a type of bleak beauty!

weather label




12 comments:

Julia said...

That photo is wonderful. Sorry your mask was not... How does Maggie do with the cold? She seems better suited. Must be the fur on the face that helps.

betchai said...

you are very admirable for braving the cold and still enjoying the outside world. last time we went hiking at utah, the temps was -16, but because there was hardly wind, it was actually very comfortable. the wind sometimes despite it says 40 but can be more brutal than negative temps that has no wind.

RNSANE said...

You don't really look like a thug but you DO look funny! I'm glad to see Maggie in her orange coat...but she doesn't have a mask. I cannot imagine being out in that weather. I don't even have a really warm coat anymore.

eileeninmd said...

The wind chill does hurt. It looks very cold there, love the doggie shot. Stay warm and hopefully spring will be here soon.

Duxbury Ramblers said...

As my mother would have said about the mask "if it suits the wearer never mind the starer" :)

Secondary Roads said...

Do you look like a thug? Perhaps? Depends on what is in your hands.

gallerydarrow said...

I admire your spirit and tenacity to get out!!

Ann said...

You are a much braver woman than I am. That cold outside I wouldn't be going out unless it was absolutely necessary. Love that last picture. I may need one of those ski masks myself. I hear the wind chill here tonight is supposed to be -10

Ferd said...

Oh man! You guys are getting a frigid blast.
Normally, we are about 15 degrees warmer in NC than our folks in Toledo. But right now, we are about 50 degrees warmer!!

Sharkbytes said...

Julia- Maggie hates cold! But she does like her little walks, so she's very conflicted about it all. She begs to go out, and then looks at me accusingly as we trudge around our trail.

betchai- no kidding. It's the wind that is really awful.

Carmen- well, yes, a warm coat is a definite requirement in Michigan.

Hi eileen- thanks for stopping by. I suspect you will see spring before we do!

Carol- I love it! My mother had little rhymes for many occasions, but I never heard that one.

Chuck- I'll never tell!

HI gallerydarrow- thanks for coming by! It's part spirit, and part just a need that I seem to have to be outside.

Ann- and in northern Ohio, there is nothing to stop that horrible wind.

Ferd- well, the south has had it's share of cold weather this year, that's for sure. Glad you are warmer right now.

Unknown said...

Excellent shot of your dog. He looks like a happy pup to be out hiking!

Sharkbytes said...

Hi John- she loves her day hikes!