Entries to Win Afghan

Sign up to receive the Books Leaving Footprints Newsletter. Comes out occasionally. No spam. No list swapping. Just email me! jhyshark@gmail.com Previous gifts include a short story, a poem, and coupons. Add your name, and don't miss out!

Tuesday, February 22, 2011

Report on the White Pines


white pine

I'm sure you've heard the saying that when we plant a tree, we plant it for our grandchildren. Because trees grow slowly we rarely see the results of our efforts. However, white pines grow quickly, as trees go. Take the one above, for example. I know exactly how long it has taken for it to reach this size. That's because I discovered it in 1992 when I ran over it with the lawnmower. So, 19 years ago, it was four inches high.

white pines
Here's another observable growth. See where my shadow is pointed? Pretend that I could continue to walk straight ahead. Just two years ago, my trail- the path I mow- went between those two trees. Now, it would be a project to push through those branches.
white pine

This news isn't so positive. This view from summer 2009 shows some of the babies back by the railroad tracks. The one on the far right is was the largest of the small ones.
chewed white pine
Deer will eat white pine in the winter, if they can't find anything better. I haven't had too much trouble with this, but one of Bambi's cousins developed a taste for Pinus strobus this winter. I think it will survive, but it's certainly not going to be the lovely, healthy tree that it was for quite a few years.

Sigh.


See Baby Trees in Winter Dress
See The Trees are Growing


4 comments:

RNSANE said...

Well, I guess it was a tough winter, Joan, and the deer couldn't find anything better to eat. No tender young shoots of anything in that snow!

rainfield61 said...

They can only survive by eating this.

Poor them.

Ann said...

that last one resembles a Charlie Brown Christmas tree, too bad. I've always like white pines because of their soft needles.

Sharkbytes said...

Carmen- actually, there was grain in the next field- provided free by the co-op. I guess this deer just wanted salad.

rainfield- I'm told that if you are a deer it's quite a delicacy... although they like white cedar better.

Ann- yes, it's pretty sad now.