Entries to Win Afghan

Sign up to receive the Books Leaving Footprints Newsletter. Comes out occasionally. No spam. No list swapping. Just email me! jhyshark@gmail.com Previous gifts include a short story, a poem, and coupons. Add your name, and don't miss out!

Sunday, February 6, 2011

Ice on the Pine


ice at river edge

One of the really interesting things to observe yesterday was the different forms and shapes of ice on the Pine River. The first picture shows the base of some cedar trees just across from where Ellen and I ate our lunch. I always think it's interesting to see how those layers froze when the water was higher, and then broke away, but the edges remain.

ice on branches

These little branches caught in the middle of the river were ice-coated from the spray of a little riffle.

ice at river edge

In another location, there was a jig-saw puzzle of an ice shelf still in place at the river's edge.

ice with sand ripples

I think this is the most interesting of all. This ice shelf has "sunk." I know, ice floats... but I suspect that it was sucked under by a current and somehow got lodged under a log or something. Look at how the sand has collected on top of the ice. The ripples that we are used to seeing in the sand on a river bed are forming on top of the ice! Nature is always full of surprises and/or science!


See Ellen and Joan Go to Silver Creek Pathway
See Rediscovering Jenks Creek


7 comments:

RNSANE said...

I assume you weren't having an outdoor picnic but, then again, you just might have been! You coul have bundled up nice and warn and you and your friend, Ellen, might have gone out with a thermos of hot soup and coffee and eaten near your icy rivr!!

humble opinion by sirrob said...

What's more interesting is the way you captured the scenery. Wish I could have my DSLR soon. LOL

BTW, thanks for showing my badge in your site. I appreciate it so much.

Reanaclaire said...

Melting.. interesting pictures..

Ferd said...

Very interesting observations.
There is wonder even in little things we can so easily overlook!

wiseacre said...

I think the cedar ice shelves are cool. I've seen them suspended over two feet above the water level at times.

The submerged ice is also familiar. I see it when water levels rise and the ice is firmly anchored to the bank.

I should head down to the river today.

Ann said...

nature provides us with so many interesting and unique things. I wonder how many things I've missed because I just didn't take the time to look around. That last one is really cool

Sharkbytes said...

Carmen- but we were! I think you missed the Saturday post about our outing. We had SUCH a good time.

sir rob- you earned it, my friend. I have a hybrid... not a full DSLR. I didn't like the weight of those.

reanaclaire- nothing is melting here yet! Brrr.

Ferd- I really love looking for the little details, but sometimes I'm not willing to slow down enough.

wiseacre- the most bizarre ice shelves like that I saw was in Ohio... there were rings around all the trees over a foot above the water level in a boggy spot in the forest.

Ann- Sometimes I get on a focused mission, and forget to look for the goodies. This Quality Day project has been very good for me, even when times aren't bad.