Entries to Win Afghan

Sign up to receive the Books Leaving Footprints Newsletter. Comes out occasionally. No spam. No list swapping. Just email me! jhyshark@gmail.com Previous gifts include a short story, a poem, and coupons. Add your name, and don't miss out!

Thursday, February 10, 2011

Ford Lake - On the Job


Ford Lake, Fountain, Michigan

I haven't had very many assignments for my new job this week, but I went out to do a couple this afternoon. One of them was on Ford Lake, near the small village of Fountain. Although it's only about 16 miles from me, I don't think I'd ever been there. It does have a public access site, so I need to get it added to Get Off The Couch. But I'll need to visit again in warmer weather to get better data. Now I know just where to go!

As you can see, the ice is solid and snowmobiles have been running across the surface. Not a problem with the temperatures we've been having!

Ford Lake, Fountain, Michigan

Here's a view that's a little more artistically framed. The tree on the left is an alder, probably spotted alder, with some dried reeds frozen in the ice a bit farther out.

reeds frozen in ice

But, this one is my favorite. It's just some soft-stem bulrush poking through the ice. But I think it looks like two lines of writing in some exotic alphabet.

Nothing very unique... just a place that was new to me, and I'm sharing it with you.



9 comments:

Anonymous said...

That last pic looks, to me, like a masterpiece of natural art. Great pic. Ever think of doing a photo book or selling your pics. I think you're a very talented photographer.

The Robert

Unknown said...

What kind of job do you have that sends you to Ford Lake in the dead of Winter?

Duxbury Ramblers said...

New places are always a treat for me, love the photos.

Ferd said...

Well thank you for sharing!
And it makes me feel cold just looking at them!
Your photos are very good. I'm so glad you incorporate them into your posts!

rainfield61 said...

I like the last one.

It looks like a sketch of the Nature by a little boy.

wiseacre said...

Looks like you had a nice blue sky day.

Be careful, snowmobiles have been breaking through the ice around here and it's been colder.

Ann said...

Love it when you find new places and share them. That last picture is really cool. Also sort of looks like a blank piece of paper with some doodles on it. I see bunny ears and butterfly antenna and some leaves. I'm sure if I looked longer I could come up with a few more things...lol

Sharkbytes said...

Hi Robert- I offer photo cards for sale when I give my programs. They don't sell well- people don't use real cards much anymore. I do get compliments on my programs.

John- just started as a Field Data Collector representing insurance companies

Carol- I know... I just LOVE seeing anywhere new... it's like another piece of the puzzle

Ferd- thanks. I'm really visual, and love to share what I see.

rainfield- it is a bit like a sketch, isn't it?

wiseacre- really? I wonder why- too much snow on top of the ice making it mushy? I did notice that there are no fish shanties, at least where I could see on Ford Lake. I was curious about that too

Ann- It is like doodles... a Thurber cartoon, I think.

RNSANE said...

Your photos are always wonderful, Joan. I have stopped buying notecards, myself, choosing instead to make my own out of my own photographs. I have enough nice ones that I'll never run out!