Entries to Win Afghan


If you like my books, essays, etc. you might want to put your name on this private email list (no spam ever) for advance notices, coupons, and occasional freebies. Tell your friends too! Books Leaving Footprints Newsletter. The most recent issue contained Chapter 2 of Dead Mule Swamp Druggist. Sign up, and don't miss out!"

Wednesday, April 6, 2011

Furry Swimmer!


After I finished some work assignments this afternoon I drove over to Lincoln Lake, because it was really nearby. This is the same lake where Ellen and I saw the mergansers, but about a mile farther east. I was hoping to get some more duck pictures. All I could see at first were several of the large mute swans, and some ducks way too far away for pictures.

Then, I saw...

swimming mammal

...a furry swimmer! Oooh, I knew this was going to be good. I already had an idea of what I was seeing, but I had to be sure, so I ran to the observation dock while the swimmer kept... swimming, fast.

otter

What are my choices? Around here, there are three good possibilities: muskrat, otter, beaver, listed by size from smallest to largest. I don't see muskrats very often, but they are quite common. Beavers are coming back with a vengeance, but this isn't the right kind of place for them. They like streams they can dam up, not large established lakes. I was hoping it was an otter. And, it was not an idle hope because I'd seen otters on Lincoln Lake before, but quite a long time ago.

otter

It swam right between those two swans! One of them pecked at it, but I didn't get a picture of that. After that, the swans just watched it. But what is it?

otter

It's an otter! I already knew it wasn't a beaver (too small). I already knew it wasn't a muskrat (too richly brown- muskrat fur isn't as good-looking, and the head is too round). But then I saw the tail, and that clinched it. Muskrats have naked tails like a big rat. Beavers, of course, have that famous broad, flat tail. Otters have round, furred tails, and this one politely showed his/hers off for us. It looks skinny because the water has plastered down the fur, but it's clearly not rat-ish.

Saw other interesting things today too, but this was the best, and I got some pictures, although a really good otter picture is still elusive. Gives me something to strive for!


See Ellen and Joan's Urban Walk


11 comments:

Duxbury Ramblers said...

Otters are beautiful - we are just beginning to get them back in our rivers - we have not seen any as yet but others have.

♦♦Icy BC said...

It must be exciting to see! What a treat for city dwellers like me.

Secondary Roads said...

Love those pix. The last time I saw an otter was in a zoo. Great swimmers.

betchai said...

oh, I love otters, they are cute and a joy to see.

vanilla said...

Watched the otter on the lake in Florida this winter. I otter gotta picture, but no such luck.
Enjoying your here, though.

Ann said...

You otter be proud of those pictures even if they are a little blurry. Cool capture, must have been fun to watch.

Lin said...

I was gonna guess "Loch Ness Monster"!!

I've never seen an otter in the wild like that--how cool!! Good eye, Sharky! And even better camera.

spinninglovelydays said...

How cute! It must be exciting to see one in the wild. The only one I ever saw was doing a show in Sea World. :(

Sharkbytes said...

Carol- I hope you do! Of course my favorite otter is from your side of the pond- from Ring of Bright Water

Icy- There is more wildlife in a city than you might expect. Especially with more parks and nature preserves being created.

Chuck- actually the last time I saw otters was in the Duluth aquarium, so I guess I have to say "me too!"

betchai- they do just make one smile, don't they? Such clowns!

vanilla- sometimes just watching is more important than pictures. I seem to be in photo capturing mode, but not always.

Ann- I'm getting more and better pictures of wildlife, mostly because I try to carry the camera almost everywhere! (and a decent zoom lens)

Lin- thanks. The camera is moderately good. I think I got a good tradeoff for quality vs weight.

Ivy- My best views have also been at place like that- Duluth Aquarium for one. But that allowed me to get a "feel" for how they move in the wild, and makes an ID from a distance easier.

Ferd said...

Excellent! Now I'll be able to distinguish among otters, beavers and muskrats!
:-)

Sharkbytes said...

Ferd- Once you get to see a few, they are pretty easy to tell even from a distance.

Related Posts Widget for Blogs by LinkWithin