Entries to Win Afghan

Sign up to receive the Books Leaving Footprints Newsletter. Comes out occasionally. No spam. No list swapping. Just email me! jhyshark@gmail.com Previous gifts include a short story, a poem, and coupons. Add your name, and don't miss out!

Tuesday, April 12, 2011

Maggie's Turn- Abby's Walking Club Challenge


dog begging

ski trail signSee... I read about this great challenge from Abby over at Right Where We Belong. She wants me to send her a picture of me on a four-mile or longer hike.

I've done that three times in the last two weeks, but silly Mom, she didn't take my picture while we were doing it. I guess that means that we just have to do it again. Can we please, Mom, huh? huh?

I know a good place to go. We haven't hiked there for a really long time. It's the south ski trail at Ludington State Park. And today is nice outside. That man on the noisy box in the den said it's going to get colder and rainier as the week goes on. You KNOW I don't like rain, Mom, so let's go today!

dog viewing sand dunes

Wow! I forgot how desolate it looks here, on the side away from the lake. All those open dunes look a lot like a desert.

dog on trail with cedars

But there were parts that seemed more friendly. I like these shady parts under the cedar trees. Today was warm, but not hot, and that's a good thing. I think this would be really hot in the summer sun. We walked all around the outer edge, and also the cross trails that divide it into three loops. Mom said she has to figure out exactly how far it was, but we hiked for two hours, so even if we were going slow... which we weren't... it would be more than four miles.

sand dune with boardwalk

When we were almost all the way around, the trail came right up against a big dune. You can see a boardwalk up on the top if you look hard. That's called the Skyline Trail. It's not very long but I think the views must be good up there. There weren't any big vistas where we walked, but it was nice and quiet, and not very many people walk these loops compared to the other trails in the park.

Mom hikes all these trails so she can keep things up to date on Get Off the Couch, where she talks about lots of great places to do outdoor things in West Michigan.

But, can you guess what my favorite part was? We got to eat dinner in the woods!

dog eating dinner outside

Did I do good, Abby, arf, arf?


See Maggie Says "Hurry Up"
See Arf! It's My Turn


11 comments:

Todo pasa por una razon said...

What beatiful place. Me gusta mucho es un lugar aislado.

Saludos,

Postes de madera

RNSANE said...

Maggie, you are just the most beautiful dog and you and your mom are in such great shape from all that hiking! I wish I had a dog who would encourage me to get out and exercise since I am not very good at getting out and doing it all on my own.

rainfield61 said...

I did brought my dog when I went hiking.

The risk is: if my dog fight with the monkeys, who will win?

Abby said...

Yes Maggie--You go girl! You did great! That is sure wide open space to walk and a 2-hour walk is definitely over 4 miles. Good job! Did you email me your picture yet? Thanks for joining in on this challenge and sharing about it here! Woof! Woof!

sir rob said...

What's on Maggie's right hind leg? Is it a bulge or just plain muscles.

Ann said...

Wow, nice way to spend the day Maggie. Looks like you got to see a little bit of everything. And how cool that you had dinner in the woods

sisko said...

What a great place for a hike. Woods, dunes, it's actually beautiful this time of year.

And Maggie leads the way and what an appetite. Go girl!

jeanlivingsimple said...

I was so surprised to see the dunes. Cool hike!

Sharkbytes said...

Postes de madera- thanks for stopping by.

Carmen- there are lots of pups who need adopting! For sure a dog insists on that daily exercise!

rainfield- no clue- I know nothing about hiking with monkeys, except that it sounds like a good title for a story.

Abby- Maggie sent her picture. Nice to see you.

sir rob- it's a huge fatty lipoma. I told about it some time this summer. You can use the search box if you want to find it. Ugly, but isn't bothering her.

Ann- Maggie is ready to eat ANYTIME

Stew- technically, she is supposed to be leashed in the State Park, but no one uses these ski trails at this time of year. We didn't see anyone... Maggie doesn't run off, so she got to run free

Jean- we have sand, sand, and more sand.

Ferd said...

TambiƩn me gusto tu caminada!
Buenas fotos!
:-)

Unknown said...

Love the pictures! My dog is jealous.