Entries to Win Afghan

Sign up to receive the Books Leaving Footprints Newsletter. Comes out occasionally. No spam. No list swapping. Just email me! jhyshark@gmail.com Previous gifts include a short story, a poem, and coupons. Add your name, and don't miss out!

Thursday, April 7, 2011

Spring Overload is Beginning!


meadowlark

I'm still longing for green, but the meadowlarks are finding things to sing about. Getting a good picture of one seems to elude my skills, but I caught one in mid-song, at least. Suddenly there are things to see and hear everywhere! Green still isn't evident, but finally the earth is beginning to warm. I could smell it!

skunk cabbage

Staying inside simply hasn't been possible. We haven't gotten that wet week that was promised (we do need the rain), but it means that I just HAVE to go out. Saw the first skunk cabbage of the year on Tuesday. And, I bring you a very short audio treat.



That pond used to be a wetland (technically, it still is) until the city decided it should be a lawn. You can see how well that works in the spring. But, this short clip is great because you just have the one frog singing- great for ID help. I think I have that Chorus Frog learned for good.

It was supposed to rain today, so I was resigned to working all day. Ha! The afternoon was in the high 50's and dry. I couldn't stay in. So I went exploring a trail that I hadn't been on before. It's only unofficial... but I found a nice loop! It goes along the Pere Marquette River from the Maple Leaf Access and back via a sand road.

Pere Marquette River

This is one of the places where you can look down and see the river curling back on itself. I have to be good and show you only one of each "thing," or we'll never finish, but it was really nice. I didn't even need a sweatshirt (first time this year), the sun was out, WOW.

scarlet cup fungus

Here is a spring "bloomer." I should say "fruiter," since this the the fruiting body of a fungus, the scarlet cup, Sarcoscypha coccinea. It's quite common, but it always makes me smile when I find it.

This has been quite a pile of varied stuff, but every little new bit of color or sound is a huge joy!


See Quiet Backwater
See Meadowlark- A Glimpse


10 comments:

Unknown said...

What an unusual array of pictures ... as I opened up your blog it landed on the second picture down and I thought - 'am I on the right blog? This looks like a tongue or may be two!' LOL!!
I have never seen a meadowlark before - so that was a lovely surprise. He looks in a glorious mood - singing for all he is worth!

Duxbury Ramblers said...

Nice set of photos - love the scarlet elf cup we get plenty of it here - I am told it is edible?

rainfield61 said...

The meadowlarks are singing so loud.

I hear them.

vanilla said...

Photos took me along. Thanks for frog song, too.

Rick (Ratty) said...

Your variety of stuff is wonderful. I love that first bird picture. The frog makes the same sound I hear so often with the frogs I never could identify.

Ann said...

love that picture of the bird in song. Spring is starting to show a little here although you do need to look close to find it.

betchai said...

i could hear the bird sing, you captured it at the right moment. the reflecting pond video looks good too, spring is coming to your town, I share your desire to always be out.

spinninglovelydays said...

It must feel like a miracle every time.

Ferd said...

Finally! Spring is springing for you! I'm glad!
:-)

Sharkbytes said...

Polly- The meadowlarks have a lovely song, usually with local dialects. I should try to record one for you!

Carol- I have no idea about it's edibility. Since it's easily identifiable, maybe I should find out.

rainfield- I'm glad that you and betchai could hear the song just on the strength of the singer!

vanilla- I would be happy to have you on any hike with me.

Ratty- I think I can now correctly ID 5 frogs by sound alone. Not enough, but one better than last year!

Ann- here too! It's so dry that things just aren't greening up.

betchai- it's really compelling isn't it? I can't help myself.

Ivy- it does... it IS!

Ferd- Needed to happen pretty soon!