Entries to Win Afghan

Sign up to receive the Books Leaving Footprints Newsletter. Comes out occasionally. No spam. No list swapping. Just email me! jhyshark@gmail.com Previous gifts include a short story, a poem, and coupons. Add your name, and don't miss out!

Monday, April 11, 2011

Rabbits were Happy...


... me, not so much.

I don't mind when they make it through the harsh winters by stripping the bark of the Autumn Olive. I've told you what an invasive tree that is. They can kill all of those they want. A lot of the lower branches of many clumps have been stripped.

bark stripped from Autumn Olive

However, this doesn't make me smile.

bark stripped from Flowering Quince

Yes, that's my flowering quince bush. Yes, the one I was so pleased to see bloom, really for the first time, last year. Yes, the one I have fenced (which does no good when the snow is high). Here it WAS, on April 21, 2010

Flowering Quince


Well, we can at least do a nature lesson. How do I know this was rabbits, and not mice or deer? See the sharp, angled, clean bites on the twigs? That says rabbit.

twigs bitten by rabbit

Anyone want to place a bet on whether the bush survives at all?


See Flowering Quince- I've Waited a Long Time


13 comments:

Lin said...

:( Bummer. Well, I hope it does.

I looked out to see that Joe had "helped" me and clipped back the plants in the garden by the street. Yeah/no. They need the protection from the salt and snow from the street--so they are dead too. I thanked him for that today. :( And I didn't do it very nicely either. He's almost as bad as those rabbits.

spinninglovelydays said...

Rabbits aren't endemic here, but there are lots kept as pets inside homes or outside hutches. So this is what they'd do if let loose...

John Metcalf said...

Hopefully the bush will survive. I've had a few look almost dead but still survive (admittedly not quince).

Rabbits were introduced here by the Normans.

Duxbury Ramblers said...

Hope the quince survives, I think I have lost an old hedge fuchsia - I do not think it would be an exaggeration to say there have been hundreds of plants grown from it. I will have to see if it comes to, otherwise I will have to get a cutting from one of the many babies about :)

betchai said...

hopefully, your plant will survive, i had similar experience before too, was so excited to harvest my chard but then they were gone and saw some little squirrels running away from me when they saw me.

Ann said...

Lets hope that it survives. I've had a couple young trees that have surprised me. One was chewed off by a dog and still grew another snapped off in a high wind and now it's over 20 feet tall.
Darn rabbits

Rick (Ratty) said...

Those evil bunnies! I remember seeing that term somewhere, and now I can't get it out of my head. Hopefully you'll beat them.

Ferd said...

I'm betting it survives!

We had to go out of our way this winter to protect some bushes from being devoured by the hungry deer around here.

rainfield61 said...

I'm betting it survives.

Unknown said...

Hi - try planting garlic/and or onions near to the roots of the bush. This usually puts off any creatures eating the nearby plants as the oils from the garlic/onions is taken up into the plant. Hope this helps.

Casey said...

It looks strong - we can only hope!

Sharkbytes said...

Lin- uh-oh- the rabbit man. He must have very sharp teeth.

Ivy- well, probably not. They really eat branches only in winters with lots of snow when it's hard to find tastier things they prefer. But species released where they don't belong are never good... eg rabbits in Australia.

John- huh! I didn't know that rabbits weren't native to England. Are hares?

Carol- hope you can get a cutting and bring it back. I don't know what a hedge fuchsia is.

betchai- ah, chard... well... that's just like candy to those little munchers.

Ann- I'll be happy to take a surprise, but they really, really, stripped this. I'll see if any branches show signs of life and trim the others. I suppose I'll have to wait ten more years before it blooms again.

Ratty- yes... as much as I love them individually, the bunnies are evil. EVIL!

Ferd- I hope you are right. I guess if it survives, I'll have to give it full prison coverage.

rainfield- your vote is certainly in the majority. I'll have to hope that the bush believes in democracy.

Polly- I never heard that one! I'll have to try it. I have some rotten onions in the pantry as we "speak."

Casey- Anything that survives in my sandy garden has to be strong!

RNSANE said...

I do hope that lovely bush survives. I guess rabbits don't realize what joy it brings to you...they're just hungry.