Entries to Win Afghan

Sign up to receive the Books Leaving Footprints Newsletter. Comes out occasionally. No spam. No list swapping. Just email me! jhyshark@gmail.com Previous gifts include a short story, a poem, and coupons. Add your name, and don't miss out!

Saturday, April 16, 2011

Desperate for Color


Thanks to the virus and the thunder, I didn't get to tell you about the hike Ellen and I took on Friday. We had an excellent adventure (is there any other kind?), but as you can see in this photo of a large beaver pond... everything except the pine tree is still brown. Brown!

beaver pond through brown woods

I tell, you, I am really getting tired of brown and gray. I am grasping at any straw of something bright. In the cemetery, the tiniest of sprigs are poking through. On the left is the Fragile Fern. After three years of trying to ID this, I think I'm secure in calling it that. On the right, the very first blooming wildflower, a tiny common violet. I'll take it!

fragile ferncommon violet

The rain started last night. We've needed it SO badly. It rained all day. I called my computer geek, and decided to pay to have the virus removed. It was a bad one. My virus software could find it, but said that it couldn't access it. My real life geek said that she had to actually delete the registry files and copy them over from one of her computers, after cleaning the virus. The color of today was also brown, but this is a rich brown. It's the color of Chocolate Zucchini Bread. Yes, you've seen this recipe before. We really love this. We use it for a dessert, not a bread.

chocolate zucchini bread

And for the frosting... at dusk, it began to snow. Will spring EVER get here?

chocolate zucchini bread


See I Cleaned and Baked, Just For You
See That Mystery Fern Again


12 comments:

betchai said...

glad to see you here, does that mean your computer is virus free now? the green against the brown shots are outstanding, makes me appreciate both colors and all colors. and i love brown, especially if there is chocolate in it, like your zucchini chocolate bread, yum!

sir rob said...

It's been raining in here for 4 straight days now. Sometimes it is heavy but most of it are just light showers that will make your car dirty with dusts.

The one hard thing is to decide when can you go for a car wash, for it might wain again after you've done it.

jeanlivingsimple said...

I'm glad you got rid of the virus and found some violets on your hike. Hard to believe you are still getting snow. Geez!

gallerydarrow said...

I grew up in Michigan that's one reason I enjoy your blog. I now do my hiking in California, stop over at my blog for a garden tour, I wish it was cooler here. Are we ever really satisfied with the weather? Still brown and snow could get tiring, thank goodness for that sweet little violet she's trying!

Lin said...

While it isn't exactly warm here, we did get some rain and it turned everything green overnight! And my plants in the gardens went from little sprouts to leafing out!! I can almost hear the grass growing.

Yes, it is coming and before you know it, the world will be green again. Hooray!

I did what you requested on my old post--I included the name of your book, pally. As for the Sharkey name spelling--I changed it in the post, but I can't guarantee that I'll remember to do that in my comment sections--I can barely spell my own name. I'll do my best though. :)

Ann said...

I'm the same as you, searching for any tiny bit of color I can get. The only good thing is that when there is something with color it really stands out against all the brown.
We were supposed to have snow last night but luckily it missed us.

Unknown said...

There is nothing quite so optimistic as coming across a wild, wild violet ... and the one that you have a picture of there is the ultimate in violet colours. Some nowadays are pale but that one looks magnificent.

rainfield61 said...

I do not see much brown and gray, I see only green, and green.

Sharkbytes said...

betchai- yes, the virus is all gone! Horray. The brown does make a nice backdrop, but I'm ready for less backdrop and more living stuff.

sir rob- that's the eternal question in any hemisphere... if I wash the car, how soon will it rain?

Jean- lots more snow in the forecast but I don't think it can stay

Ro- Hopefully next time I walk through the cemetery the violet will have lots of friends

Lin- Thanks so much! It may help both of us a little bit.

Ann- I think the one tonight might catch you if it goes that far east. Actually this one is going to stay south of us.

Polly- it is a nice deep purple!

rainfield- you have good eyes!

Glynis Peters said...

Our colours are here, and so is Spring. So glad you got rid of the virus!

Love the little Chipmonk, we had one as a pet in the UK. Funny little fellows.

spinninglovelydays said...

Those loaves look so good. I'll have to "backread" (this is a legit word in some forums, lol) for the recipe. And I'd love some snow. The summer heat over here is nothing short of insufferable.

Sharkbytes said...

Glynis- This is only a cousin to the chipmunk, but we had one of these as a pet for several years, a long time ago.

Ivy- I don't envy you the hot days, even though I want spring to arrive. I'm just really fussy- don't want hot, don't want any more cold for now...