Entries to Win Afghan

Sign up to receive the Books Leaving Footprints Newsletter. Comes out occasionally. No spam. No list swapping. Just email me! jhyshark@gmail.com Previous gifts include a short story, a poem, and coupons. Add your name, and don't miss out!

Friday, November 25, 2011

Pine Valley Pathway Again


I'm just so NOT in tune with cultural normalcy. Forget the stores; I spent my Black Friday in the woods. It was warm (about 50F) and sunny. Maggie and I both donned blaze orange and headed for Pine Valley Pathway again to hike the inner loop.

We saw nothing unique. I was going to say "nothing amazing," but we did see amazing things... the natural world simply IS amazing.

I liked the sun on the white pine needles... like stars in the tree! (Christmas lights?)

sun on white pine needles

Lost Lake showed a different character today. Instead of being sparkly, it was pensive.

reflections on Lost Lake at Pine Valley Pathway


But here's my favorite. Is this a green fried moss egg? An alien spaceship that has landed? Maybe it's a wooded hill atop a palisaded plateau. Don't you just want to know what's under that hump?

mossy hump

P.S. Facebook can be sort of awesome (I can't believe I am admitting that). I stumbled across a fellow from the town and church I grew up in. He is a few years younger than I am, but he's now the Pastor of Ministries at LifePoint Church in Reisterstown, MD. Check out his blog if you think you might be interested. A Leader's View.

We have done a bit of back and forth catching up. A few years age difference seemed really a big deal in high school. Now, not so much!

See Hiking at Pine Valley Pathway
if you like this blog, click the +1  

11 comments:

Unknown said...

I like how you spent Black Friday! Great choice.

Nellie from Beyond My Garden said...

Joan, I didn't shop either though I was too afraid to venture into the woods even in blaze orange. Shots rang out all day and from all directions close to our home in the woods. I have a book blog, reviewsbyNellie.blogspot.com which I am lining up books to review. I would be glad to write a review on News from Dead Mule Swamp for you. I don't have very many followers yet, but about 200 of my personal facebook friends read whatever I post.
nellie

rainfield61 said...

There are always surprises behind those nothing amazing.

This is my experience.

Secondary Roads said...

Lovely white pine needles. Love 'em. What's under the green glob stays under the green glob. :)

Rebecca Mecomber said...

I wish I lived in a more rural setting. I used to live in the Southern Tier hilly areas and I do miss it.

I'm curious, what part of New York are you & your pastor from? I've lived all over. His blog is very good! I like his "Frugal Dad" posters.

spinninglovelydays said...

Your way of spending Black Friday is certainly more enriching. If I had been there, I wouldn't have braved the madding crowd... at 4'11", I'd be toast in the case of a stampede. Inspiring photos. I should really visit more often. I miss so much!

Ann said...

I would rather be in the woods than the stores on black Friday also

Rick (Ratty) said...

I did much the same thing on Friday. I came very close to going out to one store for a heater that I saw on sale, but in the end I decided it wasn't worth the bother. Facebook and things like it are something I had a feeling would happen when I first got on the internet so many years ago when the Web was still young. The potential for communication just seemed so great. My mom is able to get on here and find old friends. That makes me very happy. I have never found any old friends, but I've found so many newer ones.

Lin said...

That's the best way to spend the Friday after Thanksgiving. I'm so done with all the ads and the focus on money and materialism. Yuck.

As for the green mound--I don't wanna know what's under there! EEK!

Sharkbytes said...

John- I really wanted to finish Pine Valley trails before the snow

Nellie- you should have your copy by now. Great offer, because I don't think there's a lot of overlap in our circles.

rainfield- I always enjoy the hunt for interesting things

Chuck- I'm kinda hoping so, but it really looks just right for a tennis ball.

Rebecca- in the middle of the Finger Lakes, just north of Ithaca

Ivy- you're back! So nice to see more pics of Cam and to know all is well. I'll protect you (haha) I'm 5'1"

Ann- we can have a group hike... you know... I should organize a Black Friday blog hike for next year. No STORES allowed.

Ratty- you are one of my dearest new friends! Are you with your mom now?

Lin- I know!!! maybe a dead chipmunk?

Rick (Ratty) said...

My mom and most of my close family are all back in Michigan. I do have a few relatives that live in my new area though. The closest, my aunt, is about 30 miles away though. So I'm pretty much all alone right now. It's a very different experience.