Entries to Win Afghan

Sign up to receive the Books Leaving Footprints Newsletter. Comes out occasionally. No spam. No list swapping. Just email me! jhyshark@gmail.com Previous gifts include a short story, a poem, and coupons. Add your name, and don't miss out!

Tuesday, December 13, 2011

Back to the Blackberry Lily

I August, I showed you this lovely orange garden flower, the Blackberry Lily, Belamcanda chinensis. I teased you by saying that it's neither a blackberry nor a lily. True enough, but you might wonder how it got the name.

blackberry lily

It's actually related to an iris, with flat, fanned, strap-like leaves. The leaves in the above picture are from a day lily (really a lily) that it's growing near. See the leaves of the Blackberry Lily in another picture from August, below (and a bud).

blackberry lily leaves


But we had to wait until recently to see why the "blackberry" got into the name. If you notice the green seed pod in the first picture, here's what happens after a couple of months. The pod splits open, and reveals the "berry." Of course, it's not edible, or botanically a berry at all. But it looks like one!

blackberry lily seeds

if you like this blog, click the +1  

4 comments:

Rick (Ratty) said...

Flowers still fool me much of the time. I thought it was a lily until you explained it.

Glynis Peters said...

Catching up on your posts. Love the pic of the moon. I have never seen one these flowers, they have berries like the Lantana plant.

Enjoy the festive season.

Ann said...

I've never seen one of those. That is really cool. It certainly does look like berries

Sharkbytes said...

Ratty- common names are misleading more often than not!

Glynis- I have a friend who keeps trying to grow Lantana, but I don't know it well.

Ann- I love these flowers because they bloom in late summer when little else does, but I don't seem to be able to get them to fill in very well. I have really crappy soil.