Entries to Win Afghan

Sign up to receive the Books Leaving Footprints Newsletter. Comes out occasionally. No spam. No list swapping. Just email me! jhyshark@gmail.com Previous gifts include a short story, a poem, and coupons. Add your name, and don't miss out!

Saturday, December 17, 2011

Finding Inspiration Point

 
Today was the monthly Spirit of the Woods hike, and it was just us three girls again (Loren, Ellen and me!). We are having a great time every month, but if you are local, we won't mind a bit if you crash our party. Come join us in January (Pine Valley Pathway, Jan 21)!

three hikers

A couple of years ago, someone asked me if I'd been to Inspiration Point on Hamlin Lake. I said that I had not, but for some reason (maybe we got interrupted?) I never learned how to get there. Well, today, we found it by accident!

We began by hiking the trail that I told you about in A New Trail To..., but we started at the dam and went the other way. Coming back, we took a side trail high on a dune ridge along the south side of Hamlin Lake.

In about a half mile, we came to a bench with the label "Inspiration Point." Here's the view to the NNW.

Hamlin Lake

We sat on the bench and ate our lunches. But it was COLD, so we didn't sit there long. The ice is beginning to form on the edge of the lake, and I just liked the patterns it makes.

ice patterns

All together we hiked about five miles. We only had two dogs today. Loren only brought Corky, as Teak and Cedar are finding it harder to do the long hikes. This picture is closer to Lake Michigan, before we actually started walking, but I just like it.

hiker on dune

We saw a Pileated Woodpecker, and some gulls. Not a great wildlife day, but we sure had a good time. And now I know how to get to Inspiration Point!

And... I can explore another day, because the trail goes on farther. I wonder where it goes? You know I'll tell when I find out.



See Hamlin Lake Inspiration Point is just to the east of #3
if you like this blog, click the +1  

7 comments:

The Oceanside Animals said...

Looks like a great hike. Always a little sad when the dogs can't make the treks they used to -- we knew we were going to have to stop bringing Tucker along when I had to carry him back up the mountain in Julian a few years ago.

Emm said...

Gosh, it is really beautiful there. I can see why it is called Inspiration Point.

I find my big dogs struggles on long walks too now. The colder it is, the shorter the walk has to be or her hips get sore.

Secondary Roads said...

If I were to see a pileated woodpecker, I'd count that as a super day. I have yet to see one.

Lin said...

Cool find! It looks COLD to be hiking. You are brave, Sharkey!

jeanlivingsimple said...

Merry Christmas Joan!!!

spotted face said...

Looks like a great time spent outside! And windy!

RNSANE said...

What a beautiful day but I don't think I'd sit too long eating a sandwich in the cold...unless I were chasing it down with a hot toddy of some sort. The ice does make a pretty photograph!