Entries to Win Afghan

Sign up to receive the Books Leaving Footprints Newsletter. Comes out occasionally. No spam. No list swapping. Just email me! jhyshark@gmail.com Previous gifts include a short story, a poem, and coupons. Add your name, and don't miss out!

Thursday, December 1, 2011

An Unusual Squirrel


 I was out doing assignments today, and saw some waterways that interest me, but they all look pretty much the same when I show the pictures. I have a river "idea" for another time, but today I'll just show you the best find of the day.

I've never seen a squirrel like this one. It's clearly the black morph of the gray squirrel, but the color of its tail is not just a trick of the lighting. It really has a rusty-red tail. I'll be interested to hear if anyone has seen a similar squirrel.

photo label

I tried to get more pictures, but they all look basically the same, and this is the best.

See Walking Around Tallman Lake
if you like this blog, click the +1  

8 comments:

Rick (Ratty) said...

You're right, it is very interesting. I've never seen a squirrel quite like this one, but I've read that black squirrels can come with a lot of variations. I've seen them with white patches, but no rusty colors.

rainfield61 said...

"I tried to get more pictures, but they all look basically the same".

It is still a squirrel. Haha...

Secondary Roads said...

I never saw one like that. Sure is an interesting variation.

Elvirah said...

It looks like a big rat if we ignore the tail, isn't it? Anyways i hardly get to see a squirrel at my place, but i used to see many in my school when i was a kid. And i've never seen a black squirrel and this one is definitely looks very interesting.

gallerydarrow said...

We have a problem with imported red squirrels here, the native gray squirrels are quite lovely though I've never seen one quite so pretty as the one you captured here. What beautiful colors!

Tammy said...

I have never seen one like this either but it is very pretty.

Ann said...

well that is an interesting find. I've never seen one like that before. I must admit I've never seen a black squirrel other than in pictures but all of those even had black tails.

Sharkbytes said...

Ratty- well, I've never seen one with white spots- that would be awesome!

rainfield- you are a humorist! hahaha

Chuck- glad I got pix- one seldom can prove seeing these odd things

Elvirah- well, they are all rodents, but squirrels aren't really shaped like rats.

ro- the little reds are such naughty marauders. They are so cute, but so problematic

Tammy- it IS pretty

Ann- me too!